Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Hot and Sizzling June!! What are you reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
mkmbooks avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Hot and Sizzling June!! What are you reading?
Date Posted: 6/14/2016 9:31 AM ET

New month!

Happy Relase day for Nalini Singh!! Of course I am picking up Allegiance of Honor. Some interesting books I have read latey for NTM authors. The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James and The Turncoat by Donna Thurland, both really good reads. I also read Hot In Hellcat Canyon, Julia Ann Long's new contemporary series and I really loved it! Did you giggle through Grin and Beard It? (I am going to bust if I don't get my Cletus book soon.)Think that Val Napier was one sexy anti-hero? Think that Rhys Winterborn was the sweetest common man around? I DID!!!  Happy reading day!

Last Edited on: 6/14/16 9:36 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
missyh avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/14/2016 1:26 PM ET

Recent faves include Devoted and Solace both by Sierra Riley who is quickly becoming one of my fave m/m authors. 

I also recently finished The Spiral Down by Aly Martinez. Really liked this one.

Just started Delicious by Sierra Riley. 

missyh avatar
Date Posted: 6/14/2016 1:31 PM ET

I'm anxious for the next Bourbon Kings book by Ward to come out next month. 

Oh, and I did have to read Me Before You because I want to go see the movie when I can find the time. Cried my eyes out but I loved every second. I pre ordered the follow up, After You, in paperback. Looking forward to that one next month also.

tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/14/2016 3:30 PM ET

Keri-so glad you liked the Turncoat.  Love, love this series-I just wish she'd write faster.  Have the latest in the series on tap for this weekend when I have the house to myself.  No chores for me.....yay!

I'm about a third of the way thru Mary Jo Putney's latest "Once a Soldier".  It's the first in the Rogues Redeemed series and is so far hitting all the bells for me.  Fast paced, well researched, depth....Oh-and for those thinking  "...that one's not due out until later in the month...." That's right-the MMPB and the e-book are out the last week in June-but the library edition is out now.  

Jan

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/14/2016 3:34 PM ET

Allegiance of Honor just arrived so that's what I will be reading next.  I love her archangel books but had never tried the Psy Changeling ones.  I just somehow had this impression that I would not like them.  So I just read my way through the entire series over the last few weeks.  Wow was I wrong.  Just excellent.  Better and better as the series progressed.  I'm so impressed.  Except for one book that I hated but oh well, nothing is perfect. 

I also read Hot In Hellcat Canyon and I laughed so much and liked all the characters so much..  Loved it and looking forward to the next one.

I have the two "Beard" books but haven't read them yet.  The excerpts I read were wonderful.  I really enjoyed her other series.  Knitting in the City.  So I expect these to be good too.  I just got the newest St. James (I think it is called Lost Among The Living) so I could try that author.  And Winterbourne and the first one(Cold Hearted Rake?) are both on my TBR so I need to get with it now that the Singh readathon is almost over. 

Keri, we seem to like the same things.  Who is Val Napier?  Maybe I should check that one out too. 

Keri, Never mind, I googled Val and found him.  Sounds very interesting.  I have not read that series.  Can I step in with that book and follow what is going on?

Last Edited on: 6/14/16 5:02 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
mkmbooks avatar
Date Posted: 6/14/2016 5:01 PM ET

Melissa H. I have the first book in the Bourbon Kings, but haven't read it yet. I am nervous about it.

Jan C I loved Turncoat so much I went and ordered the next one in the series the next day, it is out of delivery now...yea!!! I am thinking of picking up that Putney series, but have been hesitant because I wasn't sure I would like it.

Bronwyn Val is from Elizabeth Hoyt's Maiden Lane series, book is Duke of Sin, while this one wasn't one of my top favs of the series, it was still a great read. If you haven't read the series, I would start with the first one and gobble them all up in order. only because there is some things that play out over the story arc itself. You have got to read those Beard books...they are so dang funny with Cletus and his sausages...hilarious!

Last Edited on: 6/14/16 5:04 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
kcsue avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 6/15/2016 7:20 AM ET

I am currently reading Troublemaker by Linda Howard.  Not as good as some of her older novels, but certainly better than some of her recent releases.  A little too much use of the "f word", but all in all, not a bad story.

missyh avatar
Date Posted: 6/15/2016 7:30 PM ET

Oh I forgot to add Confess by Colleen Hoover. Soooo good. 

mkmbooks avatar
Date Posted: 6/16/2016 12:26 AM ET

Finished the wonderful Allegience of Honor in one reading...I was blurry eyed this morning for sure. I also finished Grace Burrowes lovely Jack. Her books are like chocolate pudding, they always go down smooth. Loved Jack.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/17/2016 7:47 PM ET

Despite many interruptions I finished Allegiance of Honor.  It was indeed wonderful.  And now the loooong wait until the next book.  I have started Truth or Beard by Penny Reid.  Just barely started, so no opinion.  But this author has always been a win for me.

missyh avatar
Date Posted: 6/21/2016 1:09 AM ET

I loved Delicious and immediately grabbed Someday by Riley. I didn't know about that one or it would have been read first! Both were really good tho. 

mkmbooks avatar
Date Posted: 6/22/2016 4:31 PM ET

I have so many books started. Jill Sorenson's The Edge of Night, Which Witch is Wicked? where Cindy Stark, Cynthia St. Aubin, Kerrigan Byne and Tiffanie Helmer, each write a witch, this is the 2nd book in the series and it has been pretty good so far. Where the whitches have fallen in love with the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and vice versa and so far broken 4 of the 7 seals...I bet you can imagine how they broke those seals. I also finished Victoria Vane's Hotel Hell series, but I hope she isn't finished with it, as it was left of a bit of cliff hanger.  Read Julia Quinn's Because of Miss Bridgerton and it was only a 2 star book for me. Trying an experiment that if I bring a book into my TBR I have to take one out by taking it to my UBS, reading it right then or trading it. We will see how long it lasts.

goddessani avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 6/24/2016 6:40 PM ET

I just finished All the Wrong Places by Ann Gallagher (another pseudonym for L.A. Witt).  Part of the Bluewater Bay series and it was incredible.  I have Selfie by Amy Lane in the same series to get to next.  But in the meantime, I'm rereading Romanus by Mary Calmes (one of my favourite M/M writers) because she finally released a follow up, Chevalier.  AND I have Absinthe of Malice by Rhys Ford.  So much goodness!!  

missyh avatar
Date Posted: 6/25/2016 7:14 PM ET

I read The Five Stages of Falling In Love by Rachel Higginson. I'd heard so many good things but I didn't love it. Ah well. Now I'm finally reading The Deep of the Sound by Amy Lane. Really enjoying it so far! 

mkmbooks avatar
Date Posted: 6/26/2016 3:31 PM ET

I finished The Game and the Governess, and I had to grit my teeth when I was reading the Lettie and John parts, omgosh what an unlikable character. Her and her evil sister both. Also read Heather Graham's Haunted which turned out to be good in a spooky and romantic kind of way.

Last Edited on: 6/27/16 4:13 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
missyh avatar
Date Posted: 6/27/2016 9:56 PM ET

I finished The Deep of the Sound and also Fire and Ice by Andrew Grey. Really liked both!

goddessani avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 6/28/2016 9:23 PM ET

Finished Absinthe of Malice and really liked it but didn't love it.  It was a little disjointed because it didn't focus on just one couple.  The boys are on the road and they all get visits from their partners.  It ended with a definite cliffhanger, which has me both excited to know the series isn't over and wanting to know when to expect it! 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/1/2016 6:17 AM ET

I guess it is actually July now, but, oh well.  I just finished Shadowrider by Christine Feehan.  It was okay but I kept thinking that I had wandered into a kristen Ashley novel.  Between all the f bombs, the chin lifts from one male character to another, the ending a conversation with Bambina, got shit to do, the amped us sex scenes and so on I thought who are you and what have you done with the real Christine Feehan.  Now I admit that I have not read her books for several years and decided to get back in with this first in a series.  Maybe the change has been gradual but I sure noticed it after a long absence.