Skip to main content
PBS logo
Want fewer ads?

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: How long should I wait for someone to accept my request?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ElizabethG avatar
Subject: How long should I wait for someone to accept my request?
Date Posted: 9/21/2007 5:32 PM ET
Member Since: 9/11/2007
Posts: 399
Back To Top

There are only two copies of the book I want in the system - one hardcover and one paperback. I requested the hardcover on 9/17 and it still says "waiting for member" I don't want to request the paperback at the same time because then they might both accept at the same time.... Thoughts?

nashvillethecat avatar
Date Posted: 9/21/2007 5:39 PM ET
Member Since: 8/1/2007
Posts: 5,034
Back To Top

After 5 days the order will automaticallyl cancel if they haven't responded. If you order the 2nd copy, you could end up with both  people accepting.

drewsmom avatar
Date Posted: 9/21/2007 7:13 PM ET
Member Since: 5/29/2007
Posts: 13,347
Back To Top

Yep, this is a decision for you to make if you don't want the system to do it for you.  You can take a chance and order both.  Perhaps the paperback person will accept right away (are they active on the forums and you can PM them) and then you can cancel the HC, or vice versa.  Or you can wait and hope the HC person either accepts, or the PB version is still available if your HC request times out.  Tough call.  Is it a popular book?  If you end up with 2 do you think one will get snatched up right away by someone else?   I guess you need to decide if it's a good enough to book to take the chance at possibly ending up with 2, or can you live without it for awhile if you get neither?  Good luck.  Let us know what you decide.

Last Edited on: 9/21/07 7:15 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ElizabethG avatar
Date Posted: 9/21/2007 7:39 PM ET
Member Since: 9/11/2007
Posts: 399
Back To Top

I think I'm going to stick around and wait until I have a credit I wouldn't mind wasting until someone wanted an extra copy of the book in case both people accepted at the same time.

I've had 3 wish list books come up this week, so I'd rather have a W/L book than two copies of a book I only want one of.

freakazoidP avatar
Date Posted: 9/21/2007 7:46 PM ET
Member Since: 11/25/2006
Posts: 351
Back To Top

Well, if you have a dog, I suggest getting both, in case the dog eats one.LOL just kidding!

junie avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/21/2007 11:11 PM ET
Member Since: 1/14/2007
Posts: 18,339
Back To Top

Elizabeth; you made the correct decision.  Do not order the 2nd book. Wait until the system cancels out the first one in 5 days and then you will go to the next in line (FIFO).  If no one else has the book, it will go on your Wish List.  At that time, you can order the paperback version if you want. 


Want fewer ads?