Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: How long do you wait for someone to read a message that was sent to them?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: How long do you wait for someone to read a message that was sent to them?
Date Posted: 3/5/2023 12:56 PM ET

I am currently offering a deal on my shelf and when people order a book(s), I send them a message to let them know about the deal.  I have a couple of people that ordered books on 2/25 but I have waited because they hadn't read the message yet and I have a number of people that ordered on the 1st who haven't read theirs yet either.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/5/2023 1:28 PM ET

Maybe offer the deals within a time limited persiod, for example, if you sent the PMs today you might add the deal is available to those who order by the 20th of March. Then you'd know those who don't respond by the 20th don't want the deal you're offering. And you could ignore those who haven't read the PM as you could simply do now regarding the unread PMs.

It's a thought although I understand this might not suit you.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 3/5/2023 2:08 PM ET

I always include a 'please respond by' date when I send a PM I need a quick response to. 

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 3/6/2023 2:05 PM ET

I usually tell them the date/day I'm going to send the book out or something similar. Pat

Sheeplady avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 3/6/2023 5:29 PM ET

What they said!  I always run a 2 for 1 deal, which is on the header above my shelf.  Most miss it, even those who look for  more books. I  only PM anyone who requests more than one, just don't try to do that for every single book order. Still many do not respond. I learned fast to ask for their reply by a certain day. If I don't hear back, I just mail as usual. Some people also chose not to receive club emails, so they are simply out of luck .  State a day for them to reply, then don't make yourself crazy about it!  Some messages don't show up as read because they are read on phones etc. I've had answers to PMs that were never marked as read.

Last Edited on: 3/6/23 5:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 3/6/2023 6:11 PM ET

Hmmm, I didn't know using PBS on your phone would not reflect certain actions. 

r801 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/14/2023 12:30 PM ET

Hi,

I have the same question.......I received a book and it has a lot of highlighting in it.  I know this is against policy, so I read up on the guidelines and PM'd the sender a few days ago (attaching the rule that says "no highlighting") asking them to consider refunding my credit due to the highlighting.  I have heard nothing.  I have received an email from paperback swap stating they know it was delivered and asking me to check it in.  I'm trying not to get the sender a "ding" by reporting it as being received with a problem....yet they aren't responding to my PM....I would not feel comfortable relisting this book with this amount of highlighting. 

UPDATE:  The system worked.....credit refunded and I checked the book in. 

Last Edited on: 5/15/23 11:34 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
retiredteacher avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 5/15/2023 7:28 PM ET

Sharon, she's ignoring you because she doesn't want to give your credit back. 

You need to mark it as a problem so you can get your credit back and because you can't post it back into the system. 

It is her loss and shouldn't be yours because she didn't follow the rules. 

r801 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/18/2023 5:33 PM ET

Connie K, she did return my credit and said she didn't notice it....but there's a lot in there.....glad she took care of it! 

hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/22/2023 12:23 PM ET

Speaking of giving credits, I've mailed out a lot of books in the last few months. When I do, I also send the requester the USPS tracking number.  After a couple of weeks, if the book hasn't been acknowledged as received, I'll look at the one I sent the earliest. I often find---about 25% of the time--- that it was received a week before or longer.  If it it at least one week from the USPS tracking received date, I PM the member to ask they acknowledge the receipt, telling them the date and time the bok was delivered. Sometimes a member will do it that day or so, but most often it can take as long as another week. I know people have things going on in their lives, but you wonder why they can't take a couple of minutes to aknowledge receipt. I bet they wouldn't want to wait that long for a book they mailed out. Not that this hasn't happened to me before, but it seems the percentage of late acknowledgements had drastically risen.

Makes me wonder if some of them just hope I won't follow up.