Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Going Green Going Green

Topic: How this Site Helps you Go Green

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
notalovesong avatar
Subject: How this Site Helps you Go Green
Date Posted: 8/12/2009 3:27 PM ET

I actually think this site is really helpful with going green.

First of all, you're sending old books that you've read once or twice but don't even look at anymore to people who WILL read them... and maybe pass them on to someone else. That's not only saving us money, but it's saving paper, in a weird way. Granted, you need to print out 2 sheets of paper to wrap it in, but that's nothing compared to a 300 page book.

How has this site helped you go green?

Froggie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/13/2009 11:07 AM ET

Last year we put up a clothes line and invest in a really good metal clothes drying rack.  I have used it ever since (well, I am in New England so I can't put clothes out year round).  It really isn't that much more effort for me and I love the smell of the clothes as I am taking them off the clothes line.

I also try to recycle the bubble envelopes (or others) when I am getting a PBS book.  I had never thought about it before so I think it is great.

I also save the plastic sleeves that my Sunday newspaper comes in.  This is what I wrap my books in first before putting the paper on them. 

I got these three "ideas" from reading posts here.  I have always been a fan of thrift stores, yard sales, and flea markets.  I usually try to buy as many of my kids clothes there because I can often find fairly new clothes there - they outgrow them so fast.  My boys are too young to care what they wear right now. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/25/2009 9:00 PM ET

However, I get a bit irritated by the push to wrap the books in lots of tape and to use plastic wrap to protect them. These are both petroleum products and, if you must use them, should be used frugally. I reuse my grocery bags, IF the book is going anywhere that might be damp. (Arizona in the summer probably doesn't need them!). I use just enough tape to seal the seams. I have never had a complaint, or a book go missing. I also work for the post office, and know that if the wrapper doesn't have floppy ends, it will likely make it just fine.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2009 11:26 AM ET

Well, for a few years the site was helping me rescue book-sale remains. (Which really doesn't quite convey the volume or quality of the books.  Some book sales have less books to start with.)

Unfortunately, as the economy has dropped and the sales in the BB have become completely separate from the cost of postage I'm going to have to find some other way to get rid them. 

I'm hoping to still find someone who will come get the hardcovers for free, since they are too heavy to ship. I'm not sure what they do with them, but hopefully something other than recycle them. Have to finish sorting first, though.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/29/2009 9:55 AM ET

Oh!  As soon as I can get to my fabric (almost there. We had to unload all the shelves in the basement and I've been sorting all the boxes before putting them back) I'm going to try making a cloth shower curtain.  I got the idea from here.

berries674 avatar
Date Posted: 9/5/2009 12:13 PM ET

I use my own bags at the store, but if I don't have them I get paper and use them to wrap my books.  The plastic ones, which I seldom have anymore, I'll wrap the book in to "weatherproof" it.  I finally broke down and bought a Pur water "cow" for my fridge.  Looks like the Poland Springs 2.5 gal one that I used to buy in the supermarket, but 1 filter will give me 2 months worth of water with zero waste!

Last Edited on: 9/5/09 12:14 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
AZnightowl avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/4/2010 1:37 PM ET

Hope you guys don't mind my putting my two cents worth out there in regards to two comments made above -

Clothes lines - I know it sounds a bit like Tessie's Flats, as my mom would say, but to save on power, I bought one of those retractable lines and hung it in my living room.  I put the clothes in the dryer for a few minutes to fluff, then pull the line across the room and hang the clothes.  I don't shrink hafl as many items as I used to and I find I get a lot less wrinkling.  The guys at my husband's job thought I ironed his work jeans!   I know not everyone can do this - I have a large living room and only two people in the house, so the clothes don't really get in the way.    I used to hang outside, but I live in AZ in a rural setting - lots of dust!  Plus I feed the birds and the clothes line is just too convenient for them to perch on.

And don't assume AZ is always dry - actually summer is our worst monsoon season - the books probably need as much or more protection from the elements at that time then any other.  To be honest, I don't think you can really predict which book needs what - I just assume the worst for every book and package accordingly.

A green idea I got from this site was to get an old roll of contact/wall paper at a thrift store for about $1 and use it to wrap the books in.  It's much thicker than regular paper, it 's re-using an item that might other wise get thrown out, and it looks pretty. :)  I've gotten lots of compliments about it's like getting a present in the mail.  I've mailed over 200 books this way.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/15/2010 8:01 PM ET

The wallpaper is a really cool idea! I'll have to look at the thrift store next time I'm there.

renaeadolph avatar
Date Posted: 6/8/2010 2:09 AM ET

Kayote, why not Freecycle (freecycle.org) the hard cover books? Or something along that line. Maybe host a book swap party and swap them for paperbacks that you will read or could trade here? lol.

I think this is a very green way to go and I love that! I'm still pretty new here, but have been enjoying this forum already!

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 7/3/2010 1:20 AM ET

I reuse tons of stuff to send books out--plastic bags to weatherproof books,  grocery bags and inner brown paper from giftwrap rolls to wrap books. Will reuse envelopes or small boxes over and over for books or RAOK items I send. Instead of throwing out tons of stuff, I offer it up in the RAOK forum.  As they say "one man's trash is another man's treasure."