Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: ISBN type of book not allowed?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
scifiponygirl avatar
Subject: ISBN type of book not allowed?
Date Posted: 4/20/2019 11:55 PM ET

When I tried to post several books today, I put in the ISBN and get an error message that the ISBN belongs to a type of book not allowed on PBS?  They are all MANGA, some English language, some Japanese manga.  I've seen other language manga posted here and other manga by the same author posted here on the English language ones. So who is deciding what ISBNs are not allowed?  As far as I can tell, none of the books meet the "not allowed" criteria stated in PBS TOS, so what gives? Anybody else running into this problem?  

Yes, I have contacted PBS about this, waiting on an answer. 

Advertisement avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/21/2019 10:26 AM ET

Please give details on a couple of examples (isbn, title).  At least one English and one Japanese will probably be most helpful.

-bret

Advertisement avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/21/2019 11:06 AM ET

One possibility that came to mind is that these Manga have been categorized as magazines rather than books. 
PBS only allows listing things that qualify to be sent by USPS Media Mail  - magazines generally don't qualify
because they typically contain advertisements for things other than other publications from the same publisher.
Some Manga actually are magazines, others can appear to be due their serial nature.

Are your ISBNs actually ISSNs?  If you look them up on Amazon, how has Amazon classified them? (PBS gets
a lot of its data from Amazon, but Amazon is not the ultimate authority on the book vs magazine question -
the US Postal Service is.

You can still post them in the Bazaar.  Note that if they do contain advertising, you would have to send them
by First Class mail rather than Media Mail.  (I'm currently offering a 1-year set of The Magazine of Science
Fiction and Fantasy there that I won't be able to send by Media Mail)

-bret

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/21/2019 9:01 PM ET

I sometimes get that when I post MP3 audio CD's.  MP3 CD's are allowed and sometimes the ISBNs work and sometimes they give me that message.  When it happens, if I really want to post the audiobook, I post as if it had no ISBN.   If what you have are books, not magazines, I don't see why you couldn't post them without the ISBN also.  Would be interested, though, to know what answer you get from TPTB.  Would you please share it here when they respond?

Advertisement avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/24/2019 8:20 PM ET

Hi Tory,

I'm still interested in seeing a couple of examples (isbn, title)

cheers,

-bret