Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Incorrect rating for books

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Incorrect rating for books
Date Posted: 4/14/2023 2:08 PM ET

I never really noticed this before until the other day. A book's page had several member reviews, most with 4 or 5 star ratings.  Yet in the book's data listing at the top, it only listed one rating for 1.5 stars.

I reported this in the corrections listing for the book, as I made other edits. One of the ladies who approves the data edits got back to me saying only the PBS team could correct this. So I informed them.

Since then I've seen another book with the same inconsistency.

Apparently, this is another interesting software quirk on the site.

Last Edited on: 4/14/23 2:09 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
riksny avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/14/2023 6:52 PM ET

I mostly rate books without leaving any written review.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 4/14/2023 8:09 PM ET

Thomas, I noted that same thing with many, many books a couple months ago but had not notified TPTB. 

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2023 7:00 PM ET

I don't think it is an inconsistency but the fact you can rate books without writing a review. I rate all the books I read but rarely write a review.

hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2023 8:57 PM ET

Read my initial post again. There were SEVERAL member reviews for 4 and 5 stars, but the book's page only showed 1.5 stars fromn ONE rating.

Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/30/2023 4:06 AM ET

Thomas, it looks to me that if you review a title, your review propogates to other listing of that same title. But if you rate a title, your rating doesn't propogate. Probably something that should be corrected -- the rating should propogate as well.