Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - The Writers' Forum The Writers' Forum

Topic: Indie Writer's Promotion Lament

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
bigcatlover avatar
Subject: Indie Writer's Promotion Lament
Date Posted: 5/18/2014 5:40 PM ET

As an indie writer (i.e. self-published) I know how difficult it is to get visibility within the conglomerate of online bookseller like Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  We languish at the low end of the ranking system.  So we have to learn to think outside the box.  Place our books where it might not seem obvious.  For example, I placed a copy of my book, The Lioness of Brumley Hall, on Papaerbackswap, gave info. or copies to my college alumni magazines, book review sites and even a few bricks and mortar indie stores.  Another trick is to write a short e-book to place on Kindle that relates to content within your novel.  I am at work on an e-book about parenting related to the content of my book.  It's a tough publishing world.  Let's support each other. cheeky

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/18/2014 12:10 PM ET

Good for you, Marian. Marketing the book is definitely the full-time job of a writer these days. Sounds like you have found some useful avenues. Have you had success with those methods? My writer friends give lots of talks and readings, as well as write articles that are relevant to their expertise (even the novelists!). The e-book idea seems brilliant as well. Wishing you much success.