Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health, Mind, Body

Topic: Infertility/Weightloss

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
KajunFriend avatar
Subject: Infertility/Weightloss
Date Posted: 8/17/2008 5:55 PM ET

Anyone else losing weight to help with their fertility???

Last Edited on: 8/17/08 5:55 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
sm79109 avatar
Date Posted: 8/18/2008 5:54 AM ET

I'm trying to. With PCOS it's not very easy though; only 5lbs in about 2 1/2 weeks.

KajunFriend avatar
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 10:46 AM ET

I have a friend who has PCOS. I always wondered if I had it too, but I had an ultrasound done and the Dr. doesn't think I do. But, I don't ovulate on my own and even with clomid it's no good unless I lose weight. Which is what I'm doing now. I have 1 son who is now 4 and I'm about to turn 33 and I would like to have 1 more child before we quit. But, I know I need to lose weight first before I go see my Dr. again or it'll just be a waste of time and money.

sm79109 avatar
Date Posted: 8/22/2008 1:53 AM ET

Just because you don't have cysts doesn't mean you don't have it. Check out our PCOS thread in this same forum. There are a lot of different factors. Some women have cysts; some don't. Some women have blood work to prove something is out of whack;some don't. Check out the symptoms and see how many match you and ask again. www.soulcysters.com is a great website.

Are you doing anything special as a diet?

I started a low carb diet about 2 maybe 3 weeks ago. I am a carb addict and that is really hard for me. I could give up almost everything else! =) I've been going to the gym for about 6-7 months now. A few weeks I only go once or twice (a couple of times not at all) but for the most part I go 3 days a week and have started going twice in one day. I do 2 cardio classes and 2 weight training classes. What's frustrating for me is that I don't eat a bunch of junk and I do work out but can't loose the weight. I'm hoping the new RX they have me on will help that though...

Good luck. Let me know if there is any way I can give you encourgment!

KajunFriend avatar
Date Posted: 8/23/2008 11:43 AM ET

My Dr. never did any bloodwork to say if I did or didn't have it. Just looked at the ultrasound to see if I had any cyst or not. I'm doing the Weight Watchers diet on my own, but don't really count points. Just eat low fat/calories and take ALLI. I've lost 15 pds so far. Planning to start exercising soon once things settle down. Like once my DH goes back to work from his vacation and my son starts school. So, in less than a week I want to start some type of exercise. When I got pregnant with my son (he's 4 now) I did the low carb diet and I got pregnant. My weight I know affects my fertility. But, Low carb is not something I feel I can live on and that's what I'm trying to do. Find something I can live with.

sm79109 avatar
Date Posted: 8/24/2008 12:43 AM ET

I know what you mean! Low carb is very very hard to live with. Sounds like you are already doing well!! Do you like the Alli? Hope you can find an exercise you enjoy and can stick with (that's always hard for me). Keep up the good work!

iloveyouhecried avatar
Date Posted: 8/24/2008 1:33 AM ET
ME!!!! Being in nursing school and working with high risk mothers, I am seeing the horrible effects of obesity and childbirth. Lets do it together!
KajunFriend avatar
Date Posted: 9/24/2008 11:01 PM ET

I've had to get off my diet for a few weeks due to being out of power and losing food and not being able to eat like I should. However I only gained 2 pds in 3 weeks, so I really didn't do as bad as I thought I did. However, this week I'm going to get back on track. How is everyone else doing???

sissy00 avatar
Date Posted: 11/23/2008 7:07 PM ET

I see that this thread has been inactive for a couple of months but i just wanted to say Hi! and yes I am in the same boat. I was finally diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago, and it was rather frustrating becuase they looked at my blood work from over the past couple of years and all the signs and syptoms were there all along, just had a dr that didnt know what they were doing apparently. my duaghter is 5 and i am desperatly trying to loose the weight and hopefully get pregnant. along with hopefully getting rid of the other annoying and embarressing symptoms. like only turning 26 and having almost as bad of a beard as your husband.......waxing sucks!! lol.......well anyway big hugs and good luck to everyone.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/14/2010 9:15 PM ET

I'm really glad I found this tread even though it has been inactive for a while. It is always nice to know that you are not alone. I've struggled what seems like all my life with weight issues and excessive hair growth. Now that I'm off birth control and TTC, things have been a lot more challenging to manage. I'm always grateful to find good answers and support. Another great place that found for women with PCOS is www.pcoschallenge.com. The women on the site are extremely supportive and the experts interviewed on the radio help a lot with understanding your symptoms and treatment options.