Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: July Brings Hot Weather and Hot Reads!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: July Brings Hot Weather and Hot Reads!
Date Posted: 7/4/2019 10:29 PM ET

Wow!  I get to start this month.  Finished Whiskey and truly enjoyed it.  Now beginning When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr, Bk 11) by C. S. Harris which I put on one of my challenges.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/6/2019 11:14 AM ET

I finished The Victory Garden by Rhys Bowen. It was okay. Light read

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/8/2019 11:44 AM ET

I just finished The Throne of Caesar by Steven Saylor, a wonderful, wonderful book in the "Gordianus the Finder" series.  Thank you so much for sending it to me Alice!

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/9/2019 12:32 PM ET

Hi, guys!  It finally feels like summer in MN!  We had a great 4th of July weekend. Hope the rest of you did as well.

I finished listening to The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock over the weekend.  LOVED IT!  What a charming book!  I think the audio helped.  The narrator, Juliet Stephenson, did an excellent job. I think I will start listening to The Kept by James Scott next. I've had it in my Audible library for years. 

I'm still reading Where the Crawdads Sing and it's okay. I'm not as taken with it as so many others have been.  I'm close to the end, and I am interested to see how things play out. 

REK - I recently received The Whiskey Rebels, so I may start that next.  We'll see.  I should probably look to see if I can fit it into the Challenge somehow.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/10/2019 6:53 AM ET

Glad you enjoyed it Cheryl. It was very well written. I can't imagine being there and watching Ceasar being stabbed that many times

I am currently reading Oil and Marble by Stephanie Storey. Very interesting starts in 1499 it is about Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo. I started watching the Nextflix series about Leonardo too. It is interesting learning about these creative geniuses.

Alice

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/11/2019 6:03 PM ET

Well, I finished Where the Crawdads Sing.  It was okay, but I wasn't as gaga over it as so many others have been.  Not positive what I'll read next.  I need to figure out what might fit into a Challenge category I haven't completed yet.  I am going to start listening to The Son by Philipp Meyer on a car trip we have planned for the weekend.

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/11/2019 7:41 PM ET

I'm not really sure that this one is h/f, although parts of it do take place during WWII; I've started The Distant Hours by Kate Morton.  I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the book and I think I pretty much have it all figured out.

Last Edited on: 7/11/19 7:45 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/14/2019 1:57 PM ET

Begun reading about one of my favorite artists.  When I read the author's comments at the beginning I was even more excited.  As I turn the pages I find myself admiring this author as well as the artist about which she has written.  The book is Georgia: A Novel of Georgia O'Keeffe by Dawn Tripp.  I'm only 140 pages in and I am fascinated.  The author portrays the artist as I feel she must have been.  So into her art.  So into life.  So creative and so determined to stay with her vision.  I have a poster of one of her paintings on my wall and I love it.  Wish I had more.

Last Edited on: 7/16/19 7:27 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/15/2019 12:05 PM ET

Started Sutton by JR Moehringer.  I'm not sure how I feel about it, though I'm only about 2 chapters in.  The writing is so different.  I like it, but I don't like it,  indecision

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/18/2019 4:30 PM ET

Hi, guys!  I've started two new things since I last posted. 

I'm reading The Whiskey Rebels and am LOVING it so far!  I'm listening to The Kept by James Scott, and I am really enjoying that too, although it is quite dark.

Cheryl - I am probably in the minority, but I didn't love either of the Kate Morton books that I've read.  Maybe I just read some that are not her best or maybe I'm just weird.  LOL!  I do have a few of her other books on my shelf, and I will give her another try one day. 

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/18/2019 7:34 PM ET

Shelley- I thought The Distant Hours was okay, certainly nothing earth shattering.  I had no problem finishing the book but it looks like it was a DNF for a lot of the reviewers on PBS

Last Edited on: 7/18/19 7:34 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
blubonnet1 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/24/2019 4:50 PM ET

I am on the third in the Tudor series by Tony Riches.

New author for me. 

I like his story telling.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/27/2019 7:47 PM ET

I've finished The Aviator's Wife and found it a most interesting read.  Why is it people who seem so outstanding are often so into themselves that they pay little time to their families?  This is the third book I've read including an individual I have admired for many years only to find that that individual was not who I expected.  The read was most interesting and enlightening.  I did not realize that she was an accomplished pilot as well.  History leads us to admire only the male it seems.

Last Edited on: 7/30/19 6:14 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 7/28/2019 7:46 AM ET

I am reading American Princess by Stephanie Marie Thornton. It is about the life of Alice Roosevelt, daughter of Theodore Roosevelt. Very interesting. Highly recommend

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/30/2019 11:39 AM ET

Not h/f but rather n/f, I've been reading KIllers of the Flower Moon:  The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Gann.  Such a heartbreaking and horrifying story!  Now I think I need something light and entertaining so I'm going to start Cinderella Six Feet Under by Maia Chance.

Last Edited on: 7/30/19 11:40 AM ET - Total times edited: 1