Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Going Green Going Green

Topic: Looking for one of those Free (or Low-Cost) Electronics Recycling events -

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
LazerFlash avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Looking for one of those Free (or Low-Cost) Electronics Recycling events -
Date Posted: 9/7/2022 5:00 PM ET

We're finding ourselves with a growing number of old, mostly non-functional electronics... Everything from old tube-style TVs, ancient flat-screen LCD/LED TVs, DVD players/recorders, computers, monitors, flatbed scanners, large and small printers, external tape drives, transister radios, an 8-track tape player, etc. At $10 a pop, recycling these things will be fairly expensive.

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for any free (or lost-cost) Electronics Recycling events within 20-25 miles of our home (Jefferson County WV), but so far, no luck.

Does anyone know of anything in my area that's coming up in the future?

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 9/10/2022 9:50 PM ET

I do not know about recycling events in your area.  However, I do know that the Goodwill in Houston has a special branch that recycles donated electronics. Perhaps in your area too?

LazerFlash avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/15/2022 2:51 AM ET

Our GoodWill doesn't have that service. However, I'll bet that the ReStore near me does!

Thanks!

Last Edited on: 9/15/22 2:52 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 6:46 PM ET

Best Buy will recycle electronics. Three items per household per day.

Click the link for more information.  It also states:

"With your help, we’ve collected over 2.5 billion pounds of e-waste and appliances, making us the nation’s largest retail collector of e-waste."

Last Edited on: 1/27/23 6:48 PM ET - Total times edited: 1