Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: It's March 2019 - What Are You Reading

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BrownEyesBlue avatar
Subject: It's March 2019 - What Are You Reading
Date Posted: 3/1/2019 7:39 AM ET

FINISHED -

1. "DANCING IN THE MOONLIGHT" (Cowboys of Cold Creek #2) by RaeAnne Thayne (A+++++) Lieutenant Magdalena Cruz had come home, but it wasn't the way she'd envisioned her return. And though all she wanted was to be alone, infuriatingly handsome Dr. Jake Dalton - of the enemy Daltons - wouldn't cooperate. And she needed him to, because the walls around her heart were dangerously close to crumbling every time he came near.
  2. "SHELTER IN PLACE" by Nora Roberts (abridged audio CD) (A+++++) It was a typical evening at a mall outside Portland, Maine. Three teenage friends waited for the movie to start. A boy flirted with the girl selling sunglasses. Mothers and children shopped together, and the manager at the video-game store tended to customers. Then the shooters arrived. The chaos and carnage lasted only eight minutes before the killers were taken down. But for those who lived through it, the effects would last forever. In the years that followed, one would dedicate himself to a law enforcement career. Another would close herself off, trying to bury the memory of huddling in a ladies’ room, helplessly clutching her cell phone - until she finally found a way to pour the emotions of that night into her art. But one person wasn’t satisfied with the shockingly high death toll at the DownEast Mall. And as the survivors slowly heal, find shelter, and rebuild, they will discover that another conspirator is lying in wait - and this time, there might be nowhere safe to hide.
  3. "NEVER TOO HOT" (Hot Shots: Men of Fire #3) by Bella Andre (A++++) A touch ignites. A fire burns. And the heat has just begun. Deep in the cool green mountains of the Adirondacks, wounded firefighter Connor MacKenzie has come to rebuild the 100-year-old MacKenzie family cabin - and to be alone. A horrific blaze has left him scarred inside and out and certain of two things: He'll get back on his Hot Shot crew no matter what it takes, and any woman who ventures too close will not stay long. Ginger Sinclair has been burned by a different kind of fire. Having just escaped from a bad marriage, she's retreated to the safety of the lakeside vacation town in upstate New York to start a new life. She's done with men, with relationships, with the danger of desires that can rage out of control - until she unexpectedly encounters Connor MacKenzie. As a hot summer on the lake grows ever hotter, they find themselves sharing a cabin and a romance that will swiftly engulf them both.
  4. "FINDING MARY BLAINE" by Jodi Thomas (A+++++) Prominent Attorney's Wife Killed In Bombing - The morning's newspaper headline leaves Blaine Anderson reeling. Only a few hours ago she'd dragged herself dazed and bleeding from the smoking rubble, but it might as well have been a lifetime ago - because now the world believes she is dead. Before Blaine can reach her husband, the bomber strikes again. With terrifying clarity she realizes he's bent on wiping out the witnesses to his crime - and she's one of them. Without money and ID she becomes Mary Blaine, hiding in a homeless shelter, knowing it's too dangerous to go home. Meanwhile, her husband, Mark, realizes his carefully managed life is beginning to crumble. After years of taking Blaine for granted, he finally grasps how nothing - not even a promising career in politics - is worth it without her by his side. Desperately he searches for anyone who was with Blaine just prior to the blast. But instead, he finds something - someone - much more important.
  5. "AFTER THE FIRE" (Hidden Cove Firefighters #1) by Kathryn Shay (new author for me) (A+++++) Detective Megan Hale has come to Hidden Cove to begin a new life.  What she's leaving behind are painful memories - of her father and husband, both policeman killed in the line of duty.  What lies ahead for Megan is a dream - to start a summer camp for the orphaned children of firefighters and police officers. Firefighter Mitch Malvaso vowed to change his life after escaping an inferno - by promising to be a better husband in a marriage-gone-bad.  Instead, he finds his newfound peace in Megan's selfless plan, and a deep respect that turns to unspoken love.  As they work together on the camp and cross paths in their respective roles as police officer and firefighter, the attraction between them grows; so does the fear that theirs is a love never meant to be - unless they can find the courage to face the past and embrace a passionate future of endless possibilities.
  6. "THE BACHELOR PREFERRED PASTRY" (Recipes with Romance #4) by Shirley Jump (new author for me) (A++++) Olivia Regan is determined to make her new pastry business a success. So what that all of her marketing plans have backfired and no one thinks she can succeed. What she needs is a surefire attention-getter. And snaring Daniel Worth - the most eligible bachelor in Boston - by bidding on him at a highly visible auction is the way to go.
  7. "A MATCH FOR MIKE" (California Comedy #3) by Jason T. and Ed Gaffney (A++++) Attorney Mike Davis has just about everything he's ever wanted - a great job and a beautiful condo in LA. Basically, he's all set-except for the fact that romance disappeared from his life some years ago, and hasn't been heard from since. So when a work assignment brings him to the small mountain resort town of Dancing Elk, the home of his estranged childhood crush, Mike expects his nonexistent love-life to go from bad to awkward mess. Handyman and amateur photographer Jeremy Schofield grew up in sleepy Dancing Elk, and got used to being left behind when vacations ended and the visiting families went back home. As a child, Jeremy lived for the long, lazy summer days when his best friend Mike was in town. Mike was his match in so many ways - he'd even learned sign language to communicate with Jeremy, who is deaf. But the year they turned seventeen, both Jeremy and Mike fell under the spell of the same boy, and at the end of that summer, when Mike left, he left for good. But now Mike's back, and he surprises Jeremy by asking for his help in repairing an important client's estate. When the two old friends work side-by-side, sparks fly and passion ignites as a kamikaze bat, a collapsing floor, a stray alpaca, and an elderly woman with the worst plumbing in California conspire to bring them back together. 

CURRENTLY READING -

1. "Gastien: From Dream to Destiny" (Gastien #2) by Caddie Rowland (reading on a Kindle app on my computer)
  2. "Seven Stones to Stand or Fall" by Diana Gabaldon
  3. "Savage Nature" (Leopard #5) by Christine Feehan

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO -

1. "Dark in Death" (In Death #46) by J.D. Robb (listening on an Audible application on my cell phone)
  2. "Turning Angel" (Penn Cage #2) by Greg Iles
  3. "Dean and Me" by Jerry Lewis (new author for me)

Last Edited on: 4/6/19 4:40 PM ET - Total times edited: 17
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2019 4:00 PM ET

Reading:

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Gashouse Gang by John Heidenry

Terminal Freeze by Lincoln Child

Finished:

Agent in Place by Mark Greaney

A Swollen Red Son by Matthew McBride

Polaroids from the Dead by Douglas Coupland

To Win and Die in Dixie by Steve Eubanks

Writing from Left to Right by Michael Novak

Good Morning, Midnight by Lily Brooks-Dalton

The Tulip and the Pope by Deborah Larsen

Great Plains by Ian Frazier

The Deceivers by Alex Berenson

Three Stations by Martin Cruz Smith

Last Edited on: 3/31/19 10:38 PM ET - Total times edited: 15
bookshelftreasures avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2019 9:49 PM ET

Finished in February  "Becoming"  by:  Michelle Obama

Currently Reading:    "The Book Thief"  by:  Markus Zusak  for book club

Hope to get to:  "Stones From The River"  by: ursula Hegi  for book club April

"The Master of his Fate"  by:  Barbara Taylor Bradford

"A Date With Murder"  by:  Donald Bain and Jon Land

"Manuscript For Murder"   by: Jon Land

kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2019 11:01 PM ET

Finished:

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro - the movie follows the book pretty well

When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder, Bk 6) by Lawrence Block -  a favorite author and character, Block doesn't disappoint. This one was one of the best of the series so far..Eight Million Ways to Die  is another favorite.

Reading:

In The Midst of Death by Lawrence Block - Another Matthew Scudder. If you like hard boiled and don't mind that the story is a bit dated, give these a try.   

Last Edited on: 3/1/19 10:59 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Jeannewar avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/5/2019 12:14 PM ET

Reading:

Something For the Pain  Paul Austin

Finished:

The Dollhouse Fiona Davies

Ginny Moon Benjamin Ludwig

The Alice Network  Kate Quinn

Last Edited on: 3/30/19 12:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/5/2019 1:13 PM ET

The Monsters: Mary Shelley and the curse of Frankenstein by Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler.

Last Edited on: 3/17/19 8:25 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/17/2019 8:27 AM ET

The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes. reevaluation of the great depression or the 30's. The author is an economist. Some of the stuff is over my head.

kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/22/2019 10:19 PM ET

I finished Trespasser (Mike Bowditch, Bk 2) by Paul Doiron. Very good., I especially like  the descriptions of life in rural Maine.

Now reading non fiction, which takes me longer thatn a good mystery. Lethal Passage, The Story  of a Gun by Erik Larson. Good so far.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 3/25/2019 4:49 PM ET

I am reading I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai, the memoir of the young girl who was shot in the face by the Taliban for the crime of going to school.  I have to say, I was featrful that this book would be dense and difficult to navigate.  But she, and her co-author (Christina Lamb) made the history of her country and her life very readable and relateable.  She was a kid in her country just like I grew up a kid in my country.  So many similarities, so many aspirations, so much common ground.  It really is eye-opening.  This book is endearing, well written and interesting.  I am so happy to endorse it and hope many readers will take the time to read it.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/29/2019 9:53 AM ET

Finished:  The Body in the Vestibule by Katherine Hall Page,  Mourning Gloria by Susan Wittig Albert, The Perfect Neighbor by Nora Roberts, Beach Lane by Sherryl Woods, Broken Bonds by Karen Harper, The Hotel South Dakota by Katleen Taylor

Currently reading: Play Dead by Harlan Corben