Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: March 2021 HF Reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: March 2021 HF Reads
Date Posted: 3/1/2021 8:02 PM ET

Hello, all! Hope everyone is well!  What's everyone reading? 

I recently started Skeletons at the Feast, which is good.  I started listening to The Murmur of Bees, which I am also enjoying.  

blubonnet1 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 3/2/2021 12:58 PM ET

I've just started The Weaver's Legacy by Olive Collins.  I've heard a lot of hype about it so I am looking forward to it.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/5/2021 7:02 PM ET

I just finished Death comes to the Rectory by Catherine Lloyd. Set in 1826 England. Last book of the series. Well written great characters and descriptions. Highly recommed but start with book 1. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/6/2021 9:49 AM ET

Am finishing The People's Act of Love by James Meek.  It's a good read and I need to think about how I will comment about it.  I find that some books need reflection and this is one of them.

Last Edited on: 3/7/21 8:45 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/6/2021 5:22 PM ET

I'm starting Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield. I didn't realize it was considered HF, but the first few pages mentions it takes place in the 1800s. 

peculiarway avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/7/2021 1:51 PM ET

About halfway through Murder at Half Moon Gate by Andrea Penrose, the second in her Wexford & Sloane series. I'm really enjoying this series! It reminds me some of Imogen Robertson's Crowther & Westerman series, though the dynamic is different. I can tell there's a romance building and I'm not sure how much of a fan of that I'll be, but all in all a good romp through Regency era London with an endearing assortment of characters and a murder mystery to solve. 

peculiarway avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/7/2021 1:51 PM ET

Whoops, double post!

Last Edited on: 3/7/21 1:51 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 3/8/2021 6:21 PM ET

Carolyn - I read Once Upon a River last year and enjoyed it. 

I finished Skeletons At the Feast today.  Really good.  It reminded me a bit of City of Thieves, which is one of my favorite books,  Every time I read books set during WW2, I am always amazed that all the atrocities of that war happned really not so long ago  Frightening.  Wow

I started Drowning Ruth, which I'm using for the "book that's been on your bookshelf the longest" category of the 2021 HF Challenge.  I've had this book since 2008!  Wow.  Got about 35 pages in while sitting outside and enjoying some unseasonably nice weather for Minnesota in early March - 53 degrees and sunny!  Still listening to The Murmur of Bees, and marveling over the similarities of the Spanish Flu epidemic and our current situation.  History truly does repeat itself, which is why the events of WW2 always scare me! 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/9/2021 7:23 AM ET

Reading The Black Hand (Barker & Llewelyn, Bk 5) by Will Thomas.  As I reflected on The People's Act of Love. I realized how much I like it.  The depth and the characterization - outstanding.  The characters are the story as they stuggle to survive from invasion by the Nazis to the Revolution between the Reds and the Whites.  Through it all the author winds life in Russia, particularly, Siberia.  Life is tenuous.  One never knows who to trust let alone how to survive.

Last Edited on: 3/9/21 11:49 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/14/2021 8:00 PM ET

I finished  The Rose Code by Kate Quinn 

It was good but long I think 100-200 pages could have been cut out. The book is about the code crackers during WWII. Interesting details. Good side story about Prince Phillip.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/16/2021 5:02 PM ET

Seem to be on a Russian kick lately.  Just finished Alice in Exile by Piers Paul Read, pretty good read with romance, war, death and more.

Last Edited on: 3/16/21 5:05 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 3/19/2021 5:23 PM ET

I started reading The Four Winds :: Kristin Hannah(WL 325)  Set in 1930's during the Great Depression, drought etc.

Ms Hannah writes beautifully but it is not the most exciting time to write about. Reminds me of Grapes of Wrath. Haven't decided how much I like it yet I am only 100 pages into the book. Will keep you posted. Has anyone else read it?

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 3/22/2021 6:36 PM ET

Alice - No, I haven't read that one, but I have a few Kristin Hannah books on my shelf that I need to get to.  Will be waiting your report once you're done. 

I finished Drowning Ruth, which I thought was pretty good.  I liked how the story unfolded and how I thought I had it figured out quite early on, but I didn't have it exactly right and there were a lot more details and twists.  I started The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls a few days ago.  So far, so good.  Still listening to The Murmer of Bees, which I'm enjoying a lot.  

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 3/22/2021 6:57 PM ET

Shelley,

I liked it better than I thought I would. The writing and research is very good. She writes here characters so you want to learn more about them. I gave it a 4 out of 5.  The Great Depression and Dust Bowl are not favorite times to read about.

Alice

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/23/2021 9:02 PM ET

I'm reading To Defy a King by Elizabeth Chadwick. I took a slight break from her William Marshal series, but I honestly don't know why. Her writing is so good.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 3/27/2021 3:34 PM ET

Carolyn - I haven't read a Chadwick books in years, but I have more than a few on my shelf.  Probably time for me to get back to her as well! 

I finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls last night.  So good!  I need to check out the movie.  I think I'll start the prequel book, Half-Broke Horses this evening. Still listening to The Murmur of Bees, which I hope to finish by early next week. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 3/27/2021 3:54 PM ET

Carolyn I love Elizabeth Chadwick's books. Here writing is elegant.