Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - History

Topic: Medieval History Suggestions

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
lenisha avatar
Subject: Medieval History Suggestions
Date Posted: 9/12/2011 8:24 PM ET

I'm beginning to get interested in Medieval History.  Does anyone have some good suggestions of books that I can read?  Thank you!

I-F-Letty avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/25/2011 5:00 PM ET

Lydia,  Here is a link to one of my favorite authors she lists some of her sources for her novels set in 12th and 13th century England and Normandy it's a start. http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/researchrecs.htm

ETA  Here is another favorite authors research list. http://www.elizabethchadwick.com/research.html  Both of these authors novels are well researched but are historical fiction.  But I recommend them highly. 

Last Edited on: 9/25/11 5:10 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/25/2011 7:37 PM ET

Check out Zoe Oldenbourg, author of a trilogy on the Albensian (spelling?) Crusades.........the first volume is entitled The World Is Not Enough.

lenisha avatar
Date Posted: 9/29/2011 9:29 AM ET

Thank you both very much!  I will check these out.

Wildhog3 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/7/2011 11:26 PM ET

There are several series by the great French historian Fernand Braudel. If you want drama and descriptions of the Princes and generals, forget it. If you want to read about the newly emerging middle class and the peasants, as to what they ate (gruel, made of cereal grains) and what they owned (virtually nothing), this will be very interesting to you.

polbio avatar
Kat (polbio) -
Date Posted: 12/16/2011 6:54 AM ET

i am a miltitary historian, so my interests always lay near that realm. The only books I have read on the middle ages generally dealt with warfare, such as Warfare in the Medieval World by Brian Todd Carey. It is the second volume in a series. The first book is Warfare in the Ancient World. IT is a very detailed book about a battles and weaponry of the time.

Another book you may like is Wars of the Irish Kings by David Willis McCullough.

Last Edited on: 12/16/11 6:54 AM ET - Total times edited: 1