Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
thumbedpage avatar
Subject: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Date Posted: 11/19/2014 3:34 PM ET

One of the best books I've read in ages! It was completely unfamiliar to me and came to me via recommendation from the library in it's downloadable media section. I "read" it via audiobook and found myself wanting to take the long way home just to squeeze out more story! I wish I had the print copy, as the cover glows in the dark. Recommend it to everyone!

barbieofmpls avatar
Date Posted: 11/19/2014 3:50 PM ET

Thanks for the tip. I put a hold on an audiobook at my library!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/19/2014 7:41 PM ET

you might like The Storied Life of A J Fikry.

sheepla avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/25/2014 9:22 AM ET

I enjoyed this book Definitely a little too much of a google infomercial but such a refreshing book because it was just so DIFFERENT.  I recommend highly.

barbieofmpls avatar
Date Posted: 11/25/2014 5:18 PM ET

Thanks for the tip Charles K....I put a hold on an audiobook!

Bonnie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/9/2014 8:52 AM ET

Attempted the audio, and I was one of many others who listened who didn't care for it, or finish it.  Truly the minority though.

ETA: this didn't come out right and I not going to try to fix it.  I meant, of many others I know who listened to it, I was the only one who didn't like it.

Last Edited on: 12/23/14 3:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/13/2014 4:12 AM ET

This book was exceptional! I really, really enjoyed it!!!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/13/2015 6:49 PM ET

I just found this book at a library sale I went to yesterday. not sure when I'll read it. I have a huge pile of stuff to read now.

Dargent avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/23/2015 8:22 PM ET

I thought this was an interesting book (and I'm old!) because it has a lot of subjects not usually covered; for example, working in the Google-type culture.  Some of the plot and action involves a "take-off" of an early 16th century Venetian shop of the printer Aldus Manutius (sometimes called the Father of the Paperback).  A sign on his shop said:  "Whoever you are, Aldus asks you again and again what it is you want from him. State your business briefly, and then immediately go away."   Anything else I may say could be a spoiler so I won't say it.

The Rule of Four was based on one of Aldus' books.

Anyone in the NYC area - it is the 500th anniversary of his birth and the Grolier Club in Manhattan has an exhibit devoted to his works.  I haven't been yet but hope to as it closes in a few weeks - yikes - thats the trouble living somewhere where there are a lot of exhibits you think you have plenty of time and suddenly its gone.

Denise

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/11/2015 8:23 AM ET

just finished this book this morning. very enjoyable read. sort of a modern update of an old style mystery story, secret societies, secret codes, code keys. one or two red herrings. some minor opposite sex attractions but nothing too serious. A pretty large cast of characters all handled expertly.

VolunteerVal avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Date Posted: 4/13/2015 2:02 PM ET

I recently read both Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore and The Storied Life of AJ Fikry and enjoyed them for very different reasons.

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2015 3:35 PM ET

This is on my list to read! I have the book and the cover really does glow in the dark, it was kind of amusing actually! It was a night lite ! hahaa