Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: NPR Reader Poll - Your Favorite Romances

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
VolunteerVal avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Subject: NPR Reader Poll - Your Favorite Romances
Date Posted: 6/11/2015 12:54 PM ET

From National Public Radio:

We're bringing back our famous summer reader poll this year, and as the days get longer (and the nights get hotter), we think it's the perfect time to celebrate romance.

Whether you love historicals, paranormals, inspirationals, young adult, Amish, romantic suspense, contemporaries (or, like some people around here, you'd be perfectly happy never leaving the Regency), we want to hear about it! And with your help, we'll spend this summer putting together a great big bonbon box of 100 delicious love stories.

To nominate your favorite books for consideration, click here to go to our submission form (or you can submit using the form below). Based on your recommendations, our expert panel — made up of romance authors and reviewers — will curate the final list of 100 books. Before you start nominating, here are a few guidelines:

Limit yourself to five titles But don't hesitate to nominate a book that you know someone else has already picked. We'll tally your nominations and take note of the most popular titles.

Don't limit yourself otherwise It doesn't have to be a brand-new book, and it doesn't necessarily have to be on the library's Romance shelf. If it's got a HEA — that's a "Happily Ever After" for us non-experts — and it makes your heart beat faster, tell us about it! (But don't be too sad if your pick doesn't make the final list.)

Feel free to nominate a series Shorter series like Courtney Milan's Brothers Sinister series or Nora Roberts' Bride Quartet, for example, will be considered as single, collective works — so don't bother listing the separate titles in the series. (To qualify as a collective work, the books in a series must be written by the same originating author or authors, and must tell a more or less continuous story — usually about a consistent group of characters.) If it's a very large series — like Robyn Carr's Virgin River books, or Brenda Jackson's Madaris Family saga — feel free to nominate your favorite title as an individual work.

What love stories do you just love? We'll publish the final list later in the summer — for now, tell us your favorites!

VolunteerVal avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Date Posted: 7/29/2015 12:26 PM ET

The results are in!  As you may recall (outlined in the post above), in early summer, NPR asked for nominations for swoon-worthy romances.  The input has been tabulated and a list of the top 100 has been tabulated here.  If you nominated a title, did it make the list?

Update:  I just discovered a second NPR article which explains how the above list was developed.

Last Edited on: 7/29/15 12:41 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/29/2015 7:11 PM ET

I thought I was going to make it thru the list without finding anything I've read but I did find the MacKenzies by Linda Howard.  I've read those but nothing else on the list.

kcsue avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 7/30/2015 9:48 AM ET

Thank heavens for the MacKenzie series by Linda Howard and The Virgin River series by Robyn Carr.  Otherwise, I'd be out of luck having read anything on the list.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/30/2015 10:44 AM ET

Interesting....I found lots that I had read. But I did notice that about half the list was Regency Romances...which I am addicted to. Nine of the 20 series or titles I'd read. Of the other authors/series I'd read  - included are Linda Howard's Mackenzie's (love love them) and Robyn Carr's Virgin River (love them also) series.

It was interesting that they put Georgette Heyer's Venetia in classics and not the Regency category. GH is a classic but definitely a regency. I would have put Mary Stewart's  9 Coaches Waiting in Classics instead of suspense...

There were, of course, several categories I have not read anything in at all....

Fascinating comments on the article. Fun reading author comments also.

mkmbooks avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/31/2015 10:15 AM ET

I was surprised I had read a huge majority of the books. Some that made the list were surprises.