Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Homeschoolers' Corner Homeschoolers' Corner

Topic: New Fees

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: New Fees
Date Posted: 2/4/2015 12:41 PM ET

Are you staying with Paperback Swap and paying the fees?  

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Nope
Date Posted: 2/6/2015 11:17 AM ET

This is my first time to the forums. I came here to see what everyone else was saying about the fees. I've been a member since 2009, and have traded hundreds of books here. Like many homeschoolers, we go through a lot of books! With the last increase in postage, I was debating whether this swap was worth the cost before I received notice of the upcoming changes.

We have received a lot of great books through this site, but unfortunately, we've received quite a few books in poor condition also. Some members are great about refunding credits, many are not. We've also dealt with other swap issues, like waiting weeks for books to arrive or even clear the "waiting on member" status, wait-list books that will take years to clear (if ever), MIA books that never arrive, etc.

We do have a lot of places in town that I can find used books, and I find a lot through amazon (used for a penny + postage), half.com, thriftbooks, and various homeschooling curriculum trade forums, so with the upcoming PBS fees, I'm pretty sure this site will no longer be worth my time. 

What ticks me off about what PBS has done is that, when I received the email, I had about 75 credits, many of them that I had already paid the PBS .55 postage/handling fee to mail. So if I don't join, now PBS is going to charge me an additional .49 for using my credits. I'm very aggravated by this. I wish PBS had better options, but they don't, so I'm opting out.

miamirn avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/6/2015 1:28 PM ET

Hi,

Yes, I definitely am staying. I bought the Standard membership for the discounted price, $18.00.

If anyone is thinking about leaving and don't want to post about it, message me and we can talk about it. I'm not going to convince you, but I will tell you the reasons why I stayed. The final decision is up to you, of course.

I am part of the Membership in exchange for credits program. 
If you're interested in doing it I am on the list of members to choice from.

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Want-Buy-Gift-Membership-Return/topic/300293/

kyoto avatar
Date Posted: 2/7/2015 11:01 AM ET

Last Edited on: 2/8/16 8:30 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/8/2015 9:59 AM ET

I decided to stay for a year and see how it goes. I buy dozens of books a month for homeschool, myself and the kids. So I figured it was only .05 extra or so a book. And I had about ten wish list hits in this past week! Wow. I'm not really happy about it, but I love books and I've had so much fun here.

ChWriter avatar
Date Posted: 2/9/2015 7:16 PM ET

I'm still mulling it over, but I will probably stay on for a year anyway.  Not sure which membership I'll do.  I'm a long time member and also spend quite a bit of time in the forums.  I don't have a problem with the added fee...just don't like the way it was introduced.