Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Gardening

Topic: New gardener tips??

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
KatieSue avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: New gardener tips??
Date Posted: 6/12/2013 11:18 PM ET
I am starting my first garden next week! We are in the process of building a raised bed and I will start planting next week. DH and his brother work in excavating and construction so they will send a load of soil in for us! I'm just wondering if anyone has tips they've learned along the way that they might be willing to share with a newbie like me! :) I read a few posts about fertilizing, phosphorous verses nitrogen, etc and its all Greek to me!!
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/13/2013 10:32 AM ET

Well, there were a couple of things I learned because of doing it all wrong the first time!   One was that if you opt to plant spinach,

you should plant a huge amount of it if you want enough for a family of four,   I planted a modest amouint of seed and harvested just a handful!

Another thing was that you have to get the stones and pebbles out of the part where you plant the carrots (I paid my kids small sums

for the coffee cans of pebbles they removed from our backyard garden plot).   And, it is important to thin the carrots when they begin to grow,

so that each carrot has space to grow in (even if it does seem like doing horticultural abortions)

KatieSue avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/13/2013 1:52 PM ET
Thanks Bonnie! I'm growing green beans in pots until I can get them in the raised bed and had a hard time thinning those out :) I didn't want to waste them! I ended up putting some in other pots but the original is getting crowded again
Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/16/2013 2:30 AM ET