Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Judaism Book Recommendations

Topic: Need Nonfiction European Jewish life 1920 women

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Need Nonfiction European Jewish life 1920 women
Date Posted: 9/9/2011 3:32 PM ET

Hi out there! I am looking for a book-if it exists.  That is factual, and describes to me what daily life was like for a European Jewish woman during the early 1920's.  I am from a small town, so when I asked the library, they immediately pointed me to WWII, I had to explain to them that that didn't happen for another 20 or so years. I am trying to do some personal research and am coming up with nothing.  It doesn't help that I am not familiar with the Jewish religion so I don't even know what personal choices a woman would make then.  Would she date? Would she go out in public? Would she be the one who made the decisions for her children? That kind of stuff-daily boring stuff.

Thanks for any help,

Kara

Dargent avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/8/2013 10:04 PM ET

Are you still looking for this subject? I just saw this 2 years after you wrote it - time flies.  There are many books about pre-World War II Jewish women, however, like any other ethnic/religious group, it depends.  Women/girls who lived in a shtetel - a country village - were primarily very Orthodox.  City women/girls lived a very different kind of life.   Is there a particular theme besides these two large subject areas?  If you don't need any more help - nevermind.:)

Denise