Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: It's October 2019 - What Are You Reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BrownEyesBlue avatar
Subject: It's October 2019 - What Are You Reading?
Date Posted: 10/1/2019 12:35 PM ET

FINISHED -

1. "TRUE BRAVERY" by Piper J. Drake (new author for me) (A+++++) True heroes will do anything to protect the women they love... As the newest recruit at Search and Protect, Raul has a lot to prove. Luckily, he's got the best friend and partner a man could ask for: a highly trained, fiercely loyal German Shepherd Dog named Taz. Together, Raul and Taz make an unbeatable team. But their first mission in Hawaii really puts them to the test when an international kidnapping ring sets its sights on the bravest woman Raul's ever met. Mali knows her latest job has put one hell of a target on her back. And on this small island paradise, there's nowhere to hide. With a service dog like Taz, Mali feels safe. Sharing close quarters with a smoldering muscle-for-hire like Raul, she feels something else - an unexpected wave of desire. Raul feels it too. But when the kidnappers make their move, he's got to turn that slow-burning passion into hard-hitting action - and save the life of the woman he loves.
  2. "THE HIDING PLACE" by Karen Harper (A+++++) After spending nine months in a coma, Tara Kinsale awakes to devastating news. Her best friend, Alexis, has been murdered, leaving Tara as guardian to her daughter, Claire. And Tara's husband has divorced her for another woman. Forced to start over, Tara focuses on reopening her P.I. firm and caring for Claire. But soon her world is shattered again when Nick MacMahon, Claire's uncle, returns from military service in Afghanistan to take guardianship of his niece. The bad dream turns unbearable when Tara learns that something precious was taken from her while she was in a coma. Working with Nick, a man haunted by his own past, Tara begins to investigate the missing months of her life. Together, they will find that secrets don't stay buried forever…even when they are kept in the darkest of hiding places.
  3. "THE ROAD TO BAYOU BRIDGE" by Liz Talley (new author for me) (A+++++) Married by mistake...or by design? As a wild teenager, Darby Dufrene tore up the roads around Bayou Bridge. However, years of serving in the navy have reformed him. Now that he's discharged, he's ready to settle down…just not here in Louisiana. But his "quick" visit becomes the opposite when he discovers that a long-ago, impulsive wedding he had with Renny Latioles was not annulled. Fine. He and Renny are in perfect agreement - an uncontested divorce and he'll be on his way. Too bad the crazy attraction that pulled them together before is just as strong, and it isn't listening to logic. Spending time with her makes him crave more. It could be they're still married for a reason.
  4. "SAVING FAITH" by David Baldacci (unabridged audio CD) (A++++) BELIEVE THE POWER - In a secluded house not far from Washington, D.C., the FBI is interviewing one of the most important witnesses it has ever had, a young woman named Faith Lockhart. For Faith has done too much, knows too much, and she'll tell too much. BELIEVE THE SUSPENSE - Feared by some of the most powerful men in the world, Faith has been targeted to die. But when a private investigator walks into the middle of the assassination attempt, the shooting suddenly goes wrong, and an FBI agent is killed. Believe the astounding new story that only David Baldacci could write...Now Faith Lockhart must flee for her life-with her story, with her deadly secret, and with an unknown man she's forced to trust.
  5. UNDER THE LIGHTS" (Boys of Fall #1) by Shannon Stacey (A+++++) They were the golden boys of fall: Stewart Mills High School’s legendary championship winning football team. Fourteen years later, they’re back to relive their glory, save the team - and find themselves again…Chase Sanders’s life has taken a lot of crazy turns lately. But returning to his hometown to help his old coach keep his high school football team afloat might be the craziest thing to happen to him yet. That is, until he starts falling for the last person he should - Coach’s gorgeous daughter. Kelly McDonnell learned the hard way that cocky, charming men are nothing but trouble, so she knows Chase is bad news. Still, she can’t resist his smile - the rest of him. But when his loyalty to her father conflicts with their growing attraction, any hope for a relationship might be blocked before it can even begin.
  6. "RUN TO GROUND" (Rocky Mountain Canine Unit #1) by Katie Ruggle (new author for me) (A+++++) He lost his mentor.
    He lost his K9 partner. He almost lost his will to live. But when a killer obsessed with revenge targets a beautiful woman on the run, Theo and his new K9 companion will do whatever it takes to save Jules before they lose their last chance at a happily ever after. Theodore Bosco, grieving the death of his partner, is reluctantly fascinated by secretive newcomer Jules. Although his instincts scream that he should avoid her, he can't seem to stay away. It doesn't help that Theo's new K9 companion, Viggy, has fallen head over paws with Jules's rambunctious family. Or that when he's with Jules, Theo finally knows peace. When Jules kidnapped her siblings, whisking them away from abuse to the quiet anonymity of the Colorado Rockies, she never expected to catch the eye - or the heart - of a cop. All it would take is one wrong move and she'll lose everything. Yet as Jules attempts to fight her growing attraction to the brooding K9 officer, another deadly threat lurks much closer to home. Someone's gunning for Theo and Viggy, and they're willing to take out anything...or anyone...who gets in the way of revenge.
  7. "STEP ON A CRACK ON A Crack" by James Patterson (Michael Bennett #1) (unabridged audio CD) (A+++++) NYPD detective Michael Bennett is concentrating on getting his family through a particularly difficult Christmas: he and his 10 adopted children are facing the loss to cancer of his brave wife, Maeve. But a major crisis calls him away: the funeral of a former First Lady at St. Patrick's Cathedral goes horribly awry when men storm the church and take hundreds of attendees hostage. Michael is asked to try to reason with a sinister man named Jack. Jack releases all but the most famous people, and makes his demands: he wants several million dollars from each celebrity hostage, including the mayor, a popular comedic actor, a beloved talk show host, and a pop starlet. Once Jack starts killing, Michael realizes he's up against a truly diabolical foe. 

CURRENTLY READING -

1. "Gastien: From Dream to Destiny" (Gastien #2) by Caddie Rowland (reading on a Kindle app on my computer)
  2. "Seven Stones to Stand or Fall" by Diana Gabaldon
  3. "More Than Words" "The Greatest Gift" by Diana Palmer "Shelternet" by Jan Richardson and Kathryn Babcock "Close Call" by Carla Neggers "Quilts from Caring Hands" by June Nielsen "Hanging by a Thread" by Emilie Richards "Memory Box Artist Program" by Tera Leigh "Small Packages" by Brenda Novak "The Motheread/Fatheread Literacy Program" by Dena Wortzel "Built to Last" by Susan Mallery
  4. "Secrets of Rosa Lee" by Jodi Thomas

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO -

1. "Dark in Death" (In Death #46) by J.D. Robb (listening on an Audible application on my cell phone)

Last Edited on: 10/22/19 6:55 PM ET - Total times edited: 10
bookshelftreasures avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/1/2019 2:08 PM ET

Finished in September:  Tales From Firozsha Baag  by:  Rohinton Mistry

The Starved Rock Murders  by:  Steve Stout

Code Girls The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II  by:  Liza Mundy  for book club

Currently Reading:        Barck Obama Quotable Wisdom  Edited by:  Carol Kelly-Gangi

Hope to get to:             The Fix  by:  David Baldacci for book club

Hugs From Obama  A Photographic Look Back at the Warmth and Wisdom of President Barack Obama  Edited by:  M. Sweeney

Changing Law:  A Biography of Arthur T. Vanderbilt  by:  Arthur T. Vanderbilt

My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry  by:  Fredrick Backman

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/1/2019 7:05 PM ET

Reading:

The Twelfth Iman by Joel Rosenberg

The People I Know by Nancy Zafris

Gumbo Tales by Sara Roahen

Finished:

Suicide Squeeze by Victor Gischler

Kill Two Birds & Get Stoned by Kinky Friedman

The Traitor's Emblem by Juan Gomez-Jurado

Gods and Generals by Jeff Shaara

Monster:  The Autobiography of an LA Gang Member by Sanyika Shakur

If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch

Wunnerful, Wunnerful!: The Autobiography of Lawrence Welk by Lawrence Welk with Bernice McGeehan

Last Edited on: 10/31/19 7:06 AM ET - Total times edited: 9
Jeannewar avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/3/2019 1:12 AM ET

Reading:

How to Find Love in a Bookstore Veronica Henry

Finished:

The Mothers Brit Bennett

The Perfect Neighbors Sara Pekkinen

An Elderly Lady is Up To No Good Helene Tursten

The Night Sisters Jennifer McMahon

Almost Sisters Josilyn Jackson

Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore  Robin Sloan

Last Edited on: 10/24/19 1:36 PM ET - Total times edited: 4
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/3/2019 9:39 AM ET

Finished this month: The Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly, Lowcountry Summer by Dorothea Benton Frank, Seeing Red by Sandra Brown, 

Puss n' Cahoots by Rita Mae Brown, Let Darkness Come by Angela Hunt, Sanctuary by Barbara Delinsky, Statue of Limitations by Tamar Myers,  Short Straw by Stuart Woods, The Twelve Deaths of Christmas by Marian Babson, The Falcon at the Portal by Elizabeth Peters, He Shall Thunder in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters, Crewel Yule by Monica Ferris, Embroidered Truths by Monica Ferris

Currently reading: 

Last Edited on: 10/30/19 10:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 10
eloisem avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/13/2019 12:38 PM ET

Finished:

The 71/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle,  I ended up loving it, but it was very convoluted and I kept getting confused in the beginning. A wonderful premise.

The Girl Before by JP Delaney. I enjoyed it, I know a lot of people didn’t but I thought it was well done.

currently reading Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. I read it many years ago and remember loving it; rereading for a book club.

Next up is A House In The Sky, a memoir