Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Fantasy

Topic: opinions on anne mccaffrey acorna series?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
meadow27 avatar
Subject: opinions on anne mccaffrey acorna series?
Date Posted: 3/10/2013 2:15 PM ET

hi all sorry if this has already been posted. I was thinking about getting into the acorna series by mccaffrey. I can't tell if it was suppossed to be for teens or adults,and someone on goodreads mentioned that the first book actually had nothing to do with acorna? I usually dislike books written for teens (maybe I'm too old lol) and wonderered if its a 'dark' or 'light, funny' series and if there's any romance. thanks!

nx74defiant avatar
Date Posted: 3/11/2013 10:01 PM ET

The first book is where Acorna is about Acorna. That is where she is introduced. I'd say it is Young Adult.

Melanti avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/13/2013 7:14 AM ET

"Light, funny."  I don't believe that it was specifically written/marketed for the young adult market, though.  I

I read it many years ago, and it reminded me of the movie "Three Men and a Baby" with a bit of "Oliver Twist" thrown in.  I wasn't a fan, but I'm not a big fan of "light, funny" books in general.  In the first book, the three miners (I think?) find the infant Acorna and begin to raise her, so, yes, the book is more about them though she's present for it.  She's the main character of the later books when she's in her teens.

There's romance later on in the series, but I don't believe theres any/much in the first book.

meadow27 avatar
Date Posted: 3/17/2013 8:45 AM ET

thanks for your opinions everyone! looks like the series isn't for me.

IAMADOL avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/22/2015 5:06 PM ET

That was one of the few books/series of hers that I didn't like. I just couldn't get into the world...She has lots of good series and is one of my favorite authors...But that one...nope!

scottp avatar
Date Posted: 1/27/2015 6:37 PM ET

The first one was okay, but it didn't make me want to read any more of them.  It doesn't seem to be marketed to anyone in particular, but it's fine for teens to read.