Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: PBS very slow. Anyone else?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
repoman avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 9:19 AM ET

Got on, finally.  Tried to post something yesterday and it finally posted -SiX TIMES!!  I got on today and the home page was infested with advertising.  They certainly seem to know what I posted/bought on Ebay/Amazon..  My guess is that they have big time contracts with these giants and big $$$'s are being paid. So why I'm I paying.?

sulock avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 9:57 AM ET

Still slow today, had problem with printing postage pd address, timed out.  Finally hit having a problem printing label and had success.  Hope things get straightened out soon I have a stack to go out.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 10:00 AM ET

When I click on a book title it just goes to a plain white screen.  Hopefully it gets fixed soon.  

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 10:07 AM ET

Here's the reply to my email from TPTB:

Dear Marya,

Hello! We're sorry you have been having this difficulty. We had some server issues, and now the site is running a little slowly while we re-balance the servers.

Yes, we're working on it. :)

We apologize for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience!

The PaperBackSwap Team

www.PaperBackSwap.com

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 10:09 AM ET

Funny I've had no problems on either sister set, both have worked normally.

Momof2boys avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 10:27 AM ET

Still having issues. Have been trying unsuccessfully to add a book to my WL for 2 days now without success. At this rate I am seriously questioning renewing my membership. This is all I came here to do, and I have been unable to do so for 2 days now. Ridiculous. 

mom2nine avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 11:24 AM ET

I can't get the site to open book pages. It will list the books, but not individual pages.

I just renewed my membership. This site was more fun a few years ago with more members, so I hope it doesn't lose even more members as people get frustrating and don't renew their memberships 

sulock avatar
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 12:29 PM ET

This so far has only been a two day problem.  Still able to maneuver but is slow and times out so waiting for a fix.

JRS75 avatar
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 12:34 PM ET

Yes.  Everything from slow pages to no pages.

JRS75 avatar
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 12:34 PM ET

Yes.  Everything from slow pages to no pages.

Momof2boys avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 3:42 PM ET

Server migrations should not take 2 days. No other site I use ever goes down or has as many issues or is as slow as this one, and this is the only one I pay for on a long-term basis. The longer this goes on, the more serious I become about not renewing my membership. 

hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 6:40 PM ET

Some functions have returned to normal, but looking at book pages is still a no-show.

Grnemae avatar
Standard Member medalGame Moderator medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 8:25 PM ET

It has been an issue for 3 days but some functions are back but still not able to look at book data. 

hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 1/27/2023 9:32 PM ET

Another big step forward, I was finally able to print a mailing label just now.

Back again.   And I was actually able to access book pages.  Wa Hoo!

Last Edited on: 1/27/23 9:50 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/28/2023 2:46 PM ET

Good here today but SwapaDVD and CD are both down.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2023 9:05 AM ET

Oh no Marya, had not heard the other sites were down!

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2023 1:49 PM ET

I did not sign in on either the dvd or cd sites but the sites do seem to be working promptly today. 

Iluvgoldens avatar
Date Posted: 2/4/2023 1:20 PM ET

STILL having problems!!!!

hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 2/4/2023 3:11 PM ET

It's back up now, but when I tried before I saw the "Books Listed" numbers spinning out of control. It had over 82 million books available and more every second. I also notice now that it's up again, some other information at the top, including how much money members saved, # of members online, etc., is missing. I wonder if that is permanent or they are working on that too.

Last Edited on: 2/4/23 3:12 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/4/2023 4:24 PM ET

Looks like all 3 sites are up now. Couldn't get on here until 3pm CST.

Curiously no other sites I visit have as many problems as here. Of course, my computer did black out for a time yesterday so it's probably not fair to bad mouth PBS. And whilst I'm at it, I can't help but bad mouth tech support---any tech support---it sucks.

Edited to add: surprisingly I did receive my Daily Digest email this morning although I couldn't get to it via the link. Seems it was emailed to me about 2am.

Last Edited on: 2/4/23 4:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 2/4/2023 4:37 PM ET

...bad mouth tech support---any tech support---it sucks.

Marya, The sites which really excell at poor tech support are the ones which make it hard to contact anyone directly. They usually have a "Chat App," which is willing to answer any question you have, often with information which does you no good, as it has no relation to your problem.

For example, I'm currently having a problem with PayPal/Shipstation where I often print postage. For some strange reason it now wants me to acknowledge my mobile phone so it can send me a security code so I can log on. The problem is when I click to agree or try to get to the page where I enter the security code, nothing works to get me there.  So I have to jump through a number of hoops---other pages---to get a security code page to log into my PayPal account, have the code sent to me so I can enter it and then find my way back to the page where I want to enter the mailing label information.

This reminds me about the three attributes of computers:  computers are extremely fast, computers are extremely accurate, and computers are extremely stupid.

This is often because computer tech people---or their managers---don't want to have to deal with people asking questions or pointing out Web site errors.  Often because this increases the company's costs. When I develped Web sites for my university and federal agencies I alway made sure there was an easy-to-find way to e-mail me directly, as I wanted to know if there was a problem, so I could fix it.

I was recently on one site where, when I wanted to log off, I had to backup a page as the page I was on when I was done, the drop down menu didn't display the log off selection. This lasted for weeks, but it was an easy fix, I just backed up a page. Someone eventually noticed the problem and fixed it.  But I wonder how many customers PayPal/ShipStation are now losing as customers get frustrated at the new problem.

Last Edited on: 2/4/23 4:45 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 2/4/2023 11:12 PM ET

I couldn't get into PBS for over 24 hours.  Finally got back on at 10pm EST tonight. 

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2023 8:39 AM ET

computers are extremely fast, computers are extremely accurate, and computers are extremely stupid. yesyesyes

Page: