Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: Postal meters

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
JML avatar
Judith L. (JML) - ,
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Postal meters
Date Posted: 11/14/2019 11:12 AM ET

Has anyone decided to buy/rent a postal meter? I'm considering it, since our post office seems to be in crisis. All the front end people that can are retiring because they aren't being replaced. Not sure why, although I've been told that our PO hasn't had a permanent postmaster in five years. This means that this Christmas season will only have 3 clerks at the counter, total. So there may only be one clerk at any time, and we are a busy office. 

I thought I would lighten the load by using a postal meter, and I wondered whether anyone has experience with them. I am somewhat frustrated that USPS.com won't let me mail Media rate from home. Not sure why, since they know who I am, I use a credit card at both places, so they can find me. Thoughts?

lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/14/2019 3:06 PM ET

I don't have a postage meter per se but I print postage on a dymo label printer (which also prints labels - file, address, etc.) It's hooked up to a small scale (which was free when we got our endicia account) as well. My husband, an attorney, originally got it for his business several years ago but hardly needs it due to most court filings being sent digitally anymore. So I use it more than he does to ship books. We have a free endicia account and buy postage as needed in $10 increments with a credit card on file, so they have our data. The actual postage labels are from netstamps, they recently changed over from dymo. It does not print 'media mail' exactly but does allow a choice from amoung a variety of postage sizes and types so you can select the $ amount printed. Very easy to print postage for letters and other first class items, even priority. Right now I print two stamps: $1.00 and $1.75 for each regular 1 lb. book package I mail. Our PO is just down the street so I drop off books there in the blue bin but I am sure I could leave them at my mailbox.

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Meter for Mailing Books
Date Posted: 12/30/2019 7:53 PM ET

I think that you can create an USPS account and print postage based on the weight that you type in. Could you use just a regular home scale? I don't know why you can't leave media mail in your box to be picked up by your carrier. That's what I do most of the time.

lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 12/31/2019 1:39 PM ET

Paypal is probably the easiest way to print electronic postage if you don't want to use PBS printed postage. Unfortunately the USPS click & ship website only prints for certain types like priority packages; if I'm mistaken someone please let me know because I use it for work and this would be very helpful.

If you have an account with paypal use this link:    PayPal.com/shipnow 

You should see the login screen. Once you log in it will direct you to 'Create Shipping Label'.

If you see an error on this link try going to the regular paypal.com login screen, logging in and then out and then go to the link again.

If you just log direcly into paypal I'm not sure how to get to that screen. If you don't have an account you can first set one up, log out and then go to this link and log in again.

rainbowgirl28 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/8/2020 12:35 AM ET

I recomnend PirateShip.com they are free and you can definitely ship media mail through them. 

JML avatar
Judith L. (JML) - ,
Date Posted: 1/29/2020 12:46 PM ET

Thanks everybody! You have given me lots to think abut and look into. 

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/1/2020 5:23 PM ET

I bought a USPS scale, and it works great. The only problem with mailing through the USPS.com is that they only do Priority Mail. I use PBS for book swaps or go directly to the counter. There is often a line. I may try the PayPal link next time.

starvinArtist avatar
Date Posted: 4/19/2020 3:38 PM ET

Is printing a prepaid mailing label with  paypal free ??  

JML avatar
Judith L. (JML) - ,
Date Posted: 11/30/2020 9:42 AM ET

Thanks so much to Becca for telling me abut Pirate Ship. I have been using them for several months and I love them! I can print out a label, just with plain paper, tape it to my book and have the mailman take it right from my mailbox. I have tracking, and they provide the tracking info on their site. And it costs the same as if I went to the post office for media mail. I do get the discount though, if I mail something first class or priority, as if I had used the USPS website at home. I wholeheartedly recommend this service!

muummom avatar
Peg D. (muummom) - ,
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/7/2020 12:54 PM ET

I second PayPal. I use it for everything! And it is supposedly cheaper than regular mail. Plus, if you screw-up, you an cancel the postage and get your money back.