Facebook
Skip to main content
PBS logo

Want fewer ads?

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Question about upcoming SwapaDVD site and VHS

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
MeadowbrookManor avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/2/2007 12:15 PM ET

I guess we need a clarification as to the cases - is the original case required or just a case.

Also, it might be a good idea for R&R to explain the rationale behind this requirement. Might as well get it out of the way, as it's likely to be asked once or twice.   ;-)

RockStarGirl avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/2/2007 7:25 PM ET

I would want my DVDs to be in their original cases.  I have shelves for all of my DVDs, so without the original case, they would just get lost or misplaced.

WalnutStreetBooks avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/2/2007 10:10 PM ET

Why would you want an original case? On the shelf you can just see the side - right? Maybe you will be able to specify original case.  Personally, I would just want it to be in a case.

I brought first brought this up in response to minuyette, on about page 2 of this thread,  who was saying that they had to be in their original cases.

I am a techno dummy. How could you tell that you were getting a burned copy? I guess by the lack of a label and any coloring or graphics on the DVD itself. Will burned copies be allowed? You could be getting an original case and a burned copy.

I imagine this gets into copyright laws, which I am sure the site's owners are throughly researching.

Marla Maye

DuskyRose avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2007 10:00 PM ET

Last Edited on: 11/4/09 5:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ABCatHome avatar
Limited Member medalMember of the Month medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/3/2007 10:18 PM ET

There will be no transaction fee on the DVD site

I am SO thrilled that there will not be a fee for this!  :)  SACD is a very small fee, but just one more thing to keep track of!

As for the original case vs other cases....my parents have a DVD burner and they have purchased cases that are the same size and shape of their other DVD cases that they purchased at the store.  They use these so they are the same size and fit in with the others on their shelf...everything looks uniform.  They also use these for those dumb cardboard-type of DVD cases that squash really easy....they take the cardboard cover off and slide it in the plastic cover of the blank cases they purchased at WM.  That way it actually looks like a 'normal' DVD case.

I personally don't think they will require the original case to be used....I have a feeling that a case will be required (any case) because of the issues that popped up with SACD and how so many of the CD's were broken in transit if a case wasn't used.  (**JUst a side note...I TRULY do not know how Netflix does it simply using an envelope.....I've only had one disc broken in all my time with them....)

WalnutStreetBooks avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2007 10:32 PM ET

Well, I am ready to trade! I especially like the thoughts of the whole thing being interchangeable.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2007 11:42 PM ET

I don't keep the cases at all and have 100 DVDs I want to get rid of ---- that sucks, I didn't know you had to have the case.

angelacisco avatar
Date Posted: 11/4/2007 12:10 AM ET

Requiring just the artwork and disc (no case) would be perfectly acceptable to me.  There would have to be a standard for sending the artwork -- ie, not folded to make it be the same size as the disc.  I know some people are complaining about folded inserts on SACD.

But if the artwork is not included with the disc (still no need for a case) what keeps someone from swapping from NetFlix, Blockbuster, and all the other rental places, from sending those CDs?  They would have to have cancelled their membership in the pay for rental clubs and just never returned the last ones checked out. 

Would former library copies be allowed?  Some libraries might not keep the original case (usually in order to have more items on the shelf) or they trim the artwork to fit a smaller case.

Last Edited on: 11/4/07 12:13 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
WalnutStreetBooks avatar
Date Posted: 11/4/2007 4:14 PM ET

I believe that former library copies of books are allowed.

I am glad that I have kept all of my DVDs in their cases. Just dumb luck on my part.

I have a lot of DVDs that I got for $1.00 at Walmart. 3 episodes of Ozzie and Harriet, some episodes of The Lone Ranger, etc. I have a hard time finding old-fashioned,  wholesome DVDs at my local Blockbuster. I have never gotten into NetFlix or any of the mailing DVD companies. I would rather read a book.

Marla Maye

gomets69 avatar
Date Posted: 11/5/2007 1:21 PM ET

My guess is that an original case or artwork will NOT be required. I am thinking the case would be a way to protect the dvd in shipment. I am hopeful that the requestor can specify whether they want or don't need the original artwork/case (similar to swapaCD). I like having the cases and artwork and would only request dvds that have them but not everyone is like me. :)

I have some dvds that I would like to swap but I wonder if they will all be in the system. I am guessing a lot of budget dvds will not be. I also wonder if there will be a way to add dvds that are not in the system (similar to books without an ISBN). Swapacd does not have that feature.

I also hope the initial number of dvds to post is less than 10 dvds. Hopefully 5. I want to test the system before I jump in. I also think many people are going to be slow to part with their dvds and not so many people will have 10 dvds that they will want to part with initially.

Can't wait until its up and running.

Michael

Page:
Want fewer ads?