Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Random Acts of Kindness (RAOK) Random Acts of Kindness (RAOK)

Topic: Random Act of Kindness Day - February 17

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
beaugoose avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: Random Act of Kindness Day - February 17
Date Posted: 2/17/2019 10:18 AM ET

http://nationaltoday.com/random-act-kindness-day/

Since today is Random Act of Kindness Day let's post those random acts that you have seen or been a part of.

kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/17/2019 10:21 AM ET

Sometimes at dunkin donuts drive through, I've had the perons before me pay for my coffee . So nice, makes my day! I always pay this forward.;)

Last Edited on: 2/17/19 10:42 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
LarkspurJane avatar
Date Posted: 2/17/2019 10:47 AM ET

I take a crocheted animal down to the ER each month with an encouraging note attached and leave it for someone to find.  This month I did a bear holding a heart and I'm working on a llama for March.  I also leave dollar bills taped to the vending machines while I'm there so people can get a drink or a snack while they're waiting.  

I think today I'm going to leave some crocheted owls in the local Little Free Library with a note attached saying they're reading buddies.  I've done that several times over the last year and they seem to disappear fast.  smiley

Last Edited on: 2/17/19 10:52 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/17/2019 1:41 PM ET

Today I did a very quick and small food shop.  I had 4 items, but was in no hurry.  The store was jammed, all lines quite long.  I got on what appeared to be the shortest one.  The couple in front of me had about half a cart full, and offered to let me ahead of them.  I thanked them but declined, saying jollily that I had no deeds to do, no promises to keep.  I really was in no hurry.

I had also brought 2 coupons with me.  One I used, the other was for a bottle of juice I didn't use.  I noticed they had juice in their cart and offered them coupon, which saved them $1.50.  She was beyond delighted.  We thereafter had a very nice conversation while they were being rang out.  

It was just kindness being returned with kindness.  No big deal, but I have to say it made my day.

cynd avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/17/2019 1:54 PM ET

Today I was the appreciative gift receiver of a kitchen grill and a toaster oven my niece wanted to give away.  So kind and thoughtful of her to think of us heart

beaugoose avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/18/2019 7:18 AM ET

I love to bake and often I take cookies to work and leave in the breakroom.  They don't last long.  It seems that home baked goodies are a special treat for a lot of people!

conniej76 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/18/2019 7:22 PM ET

I bought a decorative box for my coworker who will get remarried next month. I felt good about doing it and didn't know it was random acts of kindness day until I got on the internet.:)

Silvercat avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 2/18/2019 7:28 PM ET

This goes back awhile, but when we raised dogs, our milkman left us all of the cottage cheese that hadn't sold and we used it to add to our puppies' diet. They were the healthiest little guys and loved it mixed in with their usual fare!

adopteesministry avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/18/2019 7:53 PM ET

We are snowbirds now living in 2 states- in winter we are in FL in a 55 plus community- we are young retirees but there are quite a few older persons, singles, widowed and shut-ins.  I have been baking alot- bringing plates of goodies to some lonely or needy neighbors:  Bananna Bread ( the Chiquita bread mix is so good with walnuts! ) also Peanut Butter Blossom cookies and Funfetti cake cupcakes for Valentines- the recipients SMILE when they see the baked goods and usually I get to stay for a very brief visit. I am enjoying giving as much as the neighbors are who are receiving!

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/9/2019 2:46 PM ET

I do things with Pay It Forward 9/11. I don't have the resources that some have that can make the huge impacts but I do the little things. Today, I bought the elderly couple behind me in line at Wendy's lunch. I wasn't planning to do a pay it forward today but they rolled the window down to tell me they loved my bumper sticker (I have a lot in the window so I'm not sure which one)

For September 11th, I left coupon books around anonymously. When new grocery stores open in my town, one nearby sent me for at least 9 months coupons for $10 off $50. The ones I couldn't use I hid around the store if I couldn't find someone to give it to. 

I let people merge in traffic or make a turn from a busy street as I am appreciative when others let me. Holding the door open for someone is a nice gesture too.

I've heard about those taping microwave popcorn to Redbox boxes or putting a few dollars in the redbox movie when you return it for the next renter to buy snacks. Then I know others put quarters in the Aldi shopping carts so others don't need to pay.