Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: reading how to books works, really well!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
morgan2010 avatar
Subject: reading how to books works, really well!
Date Posted: 7/22/2007 2:11 AM ET

I have become an aivd gardener. it didn't happen over a summer, but took me a few years of reading about everyone elses beautiful gardens, until I couldn't resist trying to plant one myself. I got picture books about what plants to grow, and  where. I started planting one or two plants in a row and as they grew, I added more and more. you get the idea. Now after 5 years my garden blooms are colorful and a plentifuil. BUT,  the best treat having a garden was yet to come. This morning was the first time in my life I saw a humming bird in my garden, drinking from the flowers I planted. It was wonderful 

ALbookbugg avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/22/2007 8:45 AM ET

That sounds great Margaret! My Mom always has lots of hummingbirds every year. She really enjoys them, but I just can't seem to get them to come to my flowers. I have planted lots of different flowering bushes and flowers that the books say will draw hummingbirds, but I haven't seen one yet. I do have a friendly bluebird that eats cat food off the rail of my deck everyday. If I wait too long in the morning to put it out, he swoops my kitchen windows until I get the food out. He sits in the closest tree and watches me place the food on the rail, and he goes to get it when I've gone back inside. It's the coolest thing! I didn't know birds were that smart.

Welcome to the forums Margaret! We should be talking about gardens in the Thoughts forum though. This section is for questions that relate specifically to Paperback Swap. Over in Thoughts, there are lots of people who love to garden and would love to chat about it!