Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Receiving Requests for books not on my Bookshelf

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
aafolk avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Receiving Requests for books not on my Bookshelf
Date Posted: 4/2/2018 9:20 AM ET

For the third time in the past few weeks, I have received a request for a book that is NOT on my Bookshelf.  Each time I have had other books posted by the same author, but not that specific book.  I am extremely careful when posting books, and always double-check my numbers,  I can see myself making a typo once in a while, but not this frequently.

When I sent a query to PBS, the response was to tell me to decline the request, which seems like a response to the symptom and not to the problem.  Anyone else have this experience?  

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/2/2018 9:49 AM ET

Dumb question have you checked your book shelf to make sure that the books listed are the books you have available?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/2/2018 11:09 AM ET

I had that experience once a few weeks ago. In my case the book that was requested was one I requested myself and received some weeks previous but had not posted. The book was on my transaction list but I did not post it. The book I have is a keeper so I will not be posting it.

hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 4/2/2018 7:18 PM ET

I don't have that problem, but twice in the past year I've had books from my WL mailed to me almost as soon as they were posted. My WL is on auto-request.

The problem is I had already received and read those books. Not all books of the same title are linked to each other. So occasionally, you acknowledge receiving the book, the system deletes some other versions, but not the one which isn't linked to the others. As they were already mailed out, there was nothing I could do about it. So now, when I get a WL book, I doublecheck to ensure an unlinked version is not still on my WL.

Fortunately, I have plenty of credits to play with.

aafolk avatar
Subject: Not on Bookshelf
Date Posted: 4/3/2018 9:35 AM ET

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.  I did have someone PM me and tell me that the same thing had happened to them.  Just some quirk in the system, I suppose.  

Amanda

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 4/5/2018 8:55 PM ET

If you see that happen, go through your Bookshelf and confirm that everything on it currently is correct so you can fix anything else that doesn't look right.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/12/2019 4:52 PM ET

I just had that problem.  I got a request for a book that I've never had on my bookshelf.  I do have a book listed with the same name but it is a different author and different ISBN so I don't know how the incorrect request could have come to me.  I had to say I was unable to send it but I don't know if this is a negative mark on my account, ? It made no sense how the request could even come to me since it isn't a book I have posted

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 2/12/2019 7:35 PM ET

I've had sort of the opposite. I'd post a book, it would get requested, and I knew that I'd had the book, but couldn't find it anywhere. I could see it (in my mind's eye) on the shelf, etc., but couldn't find the book anywhere, so would have to cancel the request. Never did find the books either, so don't know what happened to them. LOL. Pat

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 2/15/2019 4:55 PM ET

You jinxed me Amanda!  I got a request for a book that isn't on my shelf!  -- It is for a book which I have 6 titles offered from the same series.......some at the beginning of the series were published in the 1980's so I was wondering if an ISBN got used again?

(full disclosure-- I did read the requested book back in 2011, but have no record of it being on my shelf. I volunteer at the FOL bookstore so I do donate a lot of my well-read books to them,  especially when I think the covers/spines are too creased to post here.)

Last Edited on: 2/15/19 4:59 PM ET - Total times edited: 1