Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Right Book Wrong ISBN?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Right Book Wrong ISBN?
Date Posted: 2/7/2019 9:39 AM ET

a member posted a wishlist book to me and i ordered it. directly from my wl. when i received it i logged on to mark it as such and found that the isbn of the book i ordered does not match the isbn of the book i received. it's the right title but the wrong isbn. when i went to check it on amazon.com a completely different title comes up with the isbn that's on the back of the book i received. how can i mark this received and should i mark it with a problem? any help with this puzzling problem is much appreciated thanks.

Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 2/7/2019 10:19 AM ET

First, check the book to see if there's a different ISBN on the copyright page or spine. If the ISBN that was posted is printed anywhere in the book, then just mark it received normally. If you plan to repost it, maybe put a sticky note on it to remined you of this and explain to the next recipient what happened.

If you're unable to find the ISBN that the poster used on the book itself, then mark it received with a problem / wrong book. You do not have to ask for your credit back even if you mark the book received with a problem. You can then use the Contact Us form at the bottom of the page to ask the PBS Team if they can edit the database so the ISBN you received has the correct title. If they can fix it, then you'll be able to repost the book under its proper ISBN. However, if other people have posted and swapped the book under the other title, that indicates that the ISBN was actually used for two different books and PBS won't be able to update their database because they rely on ISBNs being unique (as they're supposed to be!) In that case you can't repost the book for swapping. 

Date Posted: 2/7/2019 10:30 AM ET

Molly, the posting member should not have posted the book to that listing.   First, I would check the copyright page to see if the ISBN there is the same as the back of the book. One of the 4 requirements is matching ISBN, so an incorrect one should always be marked as RWAP. 

You don't have to ask for your credit back, but the other member needs to be reminded to be more diligent.  On the other hand, it's going to be a problem for you to re-post, and you certainly are entitled to ask that your credit be returned.