Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Robyn Carr

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Robyn Carr
Date Posted: 7/1/2007 5:15 PM ET

Has anyone read her books before? I just picked up a book by her from our library because it just caught my eye. I really enjoyed it too. " Virgin River", the title is not what you think, it's actually the name of the town where the story takes place. Good book, i really enjoyed it. I guess it's the first book in a series,so now i am anxious to read the next one.

So if you like ex-military men(a hot older former Marine) and a secluded mountain town, you will love this one!! The herione is a nurse practioner leaving the big city after her  husband tragically dies, answers an ad in a newspaper for a physicians assistent with a fully furnished Cabin provided rent-free in tiny little Virgin River, she thought it sounded like just what she needed. Only she was mislead by the person who hires her, she's ready to leave after only one day in VIrgin River until a newborn baby shows up abandoned on a porch. It has some humorous parts to it also, you feel like you know all the characters in that town by the end of the book.

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 7/1/2007 6:58 PM ET

Sounds good.  I just wishlisted it.

Sherri

currently reading: Tapestry - 4 novellas by Kurland/Moning/Kenyon/Hunter

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/1/2007 8:23 PM ET

I've only read one of her books. I think it was called 'deep in the valley' and there are 3 in that 'series' I think..I know there are 2 but seems like there's a 3rd one someone pm'd me about but have to find that pm...

Overall it was a nice story but I expected more 'spice' I guess from the back cover's description...a single female doctor in a small town getting secret visits at night from a DEA agent..sigh..I read it on night shift and there were a lot of characters and was't what I expected. I have the 2nd book but got sidetracked after starting it (only got through a few pages).  I found the writing sorta slow and 'sweet' but a lot of people with a lot of serious issues thrown in the mix. I plan on reading the sequel and enjoying it for what it is and try not to expect what it isn't if that makes sense! sorry still sorta groggy since just woke up. It sorta reminded me of Jan Karon's series about Mitford with all the different people so I'll read the next book when I get off the short romance phase and the intrigue type phases!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/1/2007 8:37 PM ET

Susanna: I think that story carried over into this new series of hers, because in "Virgin River" they talk about a female doctor from another town who never expected to marry anyone, has a secret affair with a man who brings his comerade into the hospital for treatment,this female doctor character describes how he would sneak into her bedroom at night for secret visits and she then unexpectedly ends up pregnant. The herione in "Virgin River" visits this female doctor often in another town, i think her name was Jane or Julie?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/1/2007 8:48 PM ET

yep, that's the one Tanya! and the secret visits weren't too descriptive! I think she ends up preggers in the 2nd book but didn't get that far but I"m one of these who'll skip to see the ending! :-) but don't know if they say which one is the dad but hoping it's the dea dude and he does bring a comrade in actually one of the 'bad guys' but he's undercover so has to pretend it's a comrade.

they're nice stories but need to read them when I'm able to concentrate on the characters better..definitely not a quick read or one to read for descriptive love scenes! still nice though. gave me the same feeling I got from reading the Mitford books though not quite as 'sweet'

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/1/2007 9:38 PM ET

They only touch on that story a little bit in the Virgin River book but i do believe she married the DEA agent(think his name is Jim?) and had the baby.

JENinVT avatar
Date Posted: 7/1/2007 10:45 PM ET

I've only read one book by Robyn Carr, Runaway Mistress. It was OK but I had expected more based on the desciption I read. I do have the Virgin River trilogy on my WL, though. They sounded good and I wanted to give her another try. The books are: Virgin River, Whispering Rock and Shelter Mountain. I don't remember which order they go in.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/2/2007 11:20 AM ET

I have the Virgin River trilogy on my shopping list, but I do have her Tempted on my keeper shelf - its an older book, but centers around a widowed heroine with two kids and a minister/hero, just a very realistic look at moving on when you've lost a husband in a good marriage.  I should caution: even though he is a minister, they do have sex before they get married. 

pj avatar
Date Posted: 7/2/2007 12:15 PM ET

I just finished the Grace Valley series, Down by the River, Over the Mountain and Deep in the Valley thought they were all good.

romanceaddict avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/2/2007 2:12 PM ET

I just finished "Runaway Mistress" and I wouldn't say it was bad, but definitely not what I was expecting. It seemed to drag out.

taryndesigns avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/2/2007 7:35 PM ET

I just finished the Virgin River triology and have two to mail to WLers as soon as I get to the post office. I loved the series. The romance was good, strong woman, alpha males (but not the demanding kind) and the sex was not over-the-top. All the characters are just nice people. Of course, there are some not-so-nice people that are needed for the plot line, but overall, it has  wonderful small town folks who help each other. I just ordered the other books that came before these. Deep In The Valley and Down By The River. I think there is one more to go with those that I still have to find. I hope they live up to my expectations.

kijero avatar
Date Posted: 8/9/2007 5:11 PM ET

I've read the RIVER VALLEY SERIES. Thought it was pretty good. Didn't know there were other connected books to read with the series. I doctor was born and raised in the town and took over her father's practice and brought in 1 or 2 other doctors to help her out.