Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Crafting

Topic: Scrapbooking

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
azmom23 avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/10/2007 5:36 PM ET

LOL!  We said it would have to be gold to pay that much!  But it was cute, all paper peiced.  If you ever want to look her up she is craftyemg on ebay.  She has cute pages....but way to much $$

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/11/2007 9:23 AM ET

If I could get away with selling mine for those prices, I could retire from my day job.  I've been lazy this week and haven't scrapped much.  I did a 6x6 board book baby album for a gift during the nascar race on Saturday and a card to match.  I started working on a lacing card kit on Sunday,b ut need to finish.  So for this month I've only done 12 12x12 layouts.  Need to get busy.  I just got my kit on Monday from scrap-room.com and want to play!

Michelle

Dove avatar
Date Posted: 7/12/2007 12:33 AM ET
I just looked her up on EBay and she has a 4th of July one going for $95.00. OUCH!!!! I don't care how cute they are ---- that seems like wayyyyyy tooooo much! Well---I guess if I was a millionaire, it would be a different story. Colleen
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/12/2007 7:46 PM ET

I love it too!  I'm also a Creative Memories consultant.  You can go to creativememories.com and they have layout ideas.  I also am a "non clutter scrapper"  and I think CM is prefect for us.  I get way to overwhelmed going into a craft store with all the sticker and other accents. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/13/2007 10:41 AM ET

I think my style is probably somewhere between creative memories and over cluttered - hate the sticker sneeze!  I hate spending so much money on all the embellishments.  I use a lot of metal like brads and eyelets, ribbon and fiber and lace, buttons, flowers and chipboard.  I tend to cut up a lot of my papers.  I love the look of cutting out the flourishes on the paper and using them as accents.  I have also done a couple pages where I cut out flower designs and then used either a clear or glitter glaze like making memories on them and using them as the accent.  A lot of my flowers are from garage sales and I simply rinse them off with the sprayer on the sink, let them dry and dismantle them.  I have started using the stickles dimensional paint for paper.  It's amazing what just a little will do to brighten a page.

I worked on a page of baby pics of my daughter this morning.  Very simple with 5 pics.  I'm adding a rubon quote and then just a few pastel glitter blings in the centers of some of the flowers on the paper.  I don't like the stuff to overwhelm the pics, esp. with baby pics.

michelle

Dove avatar
Date Posted: 7/18/2007 6:40 PM ET
Does anyone belong to any scrapbooking email lists with Yahoo groups? (or any other email list) Colleen
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/19/2007 4:33 PM ET

Anyone gone to www.scrapbookscrapbook.com.  They have free downloadable/printable pages.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/23/2007 8:50 AM ET

I haven't found any yahoo groups.  Do you belong to any?  I usually chat on the scrap-room board, but I also read the lifetimemoments message board a lot.  They've had great pics of the things at cha.

michelle

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/23/2007 9:30 PM ET

YAY!  Joann's has some of DCWV's best paper stacks on sale for only $9.88!  Run to your Joann's!  Nana's Kids are THE CUTEST papers ever!  I got 2 of those stacks!!!  lol

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/24/2007 12:01 AM ET

I love scrapbooking too! I've been doing it for over 5 years now. I really need to start it up again.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/25/2007 9:28 AM ET

I've got nana's kids but haven't used it yet.  That is such a good price on all of them.  For the Elsie lovers, hobby lobby is now carring some of the Love Elsie line.  I am signed up to take a class at scrapfest at the mall of america in september being taught by DCWV.  It is a 12x12 album filled with 20 pages of layouts using these paper stacks of theres.  can't wait

Oh, and Joanns website has coupons that you can use that I think will save even more off the price of dcwv.

Just signed up for 2 more classes last night.  My 9 yo daughter and I are taking a card class that has some beautiful new stamped cards, she is taking scrapbooking 2 which is a beginners course (she's actually pretty good for her age) that is a 2 page layout and I'm taking a bobunny class that is a 12 month of memories board book.  I'm doing an anna griffin 2 page layout and card class on friday that comes with a baby book free project and then in 2 weeks I'm doing a summer album made from paper bags.

Love the classes!

michelle

Dove avatar
Date Posted: 7/26/2007 6:54 PM ET
Michelle, Thanks so much for posting about the Mall of America Scrapfest. I have scrapbook events all around North America on my website and I didn't have that one! Thanks Colleen
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/26/2007 7:23 PM ET

Naturally, nebraska and south dakota had nothing on your list.  I didn't know about the one in Des Moines.  There is a scrapbook expo being held in sioux city Iowa in early October.  I can't find my shet with the info.  The Scrapbook Store in Sioux City is hosting it.  i went last year and it was really good.  I'll send you the info when i get it.

michelle

Dove avatar
Date Posted: 7/27/2007 8:38 AM ET
Michelle, thank you so much for telling me about the Expo in Sious City! I finally found it through a Google search - it is now listed. If anyone else is aware of events, I would appreciate knowing about them. Colleen
Dove avatar
Date Posted: 7/27/2007 9:18 AM ET
BTW Yahoo groups has tons of scrapbooking email lists. I was just wondering if anyone had a favorite group. I have been looking for a good fit for myself. Some are way to chatty (200 emails a day) and others not chatty enough (2 emails a month) Some are digital scrappers only, some for heritage scrapping, some just do swaps.....well you get the idea. I have been joining a few and then leaving those that don't fit me. I am always looking for new groups to try. Colleen
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/29/2007 11:56 AM ET

Just posted a Wedding Idea book and  Mosaic Idea book....almost brand new!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/3/2007 5:53 AM ET

I've been scrapbooking for about 5 years now and totally LOVE it!  I also am making my own greeting cards which is a great way to use up leftover paper, etc.  I've even had a few of my layouts published in various scrapbooking magazines.  I think I have enough supplies to last me the rest of my natural life, but I still love to buy the new stuff! 

One of my favorite sites is lifetimemoments.com and I have a gallery of some of my pages there if anyone's interested.  They also have great sample pages showing how to use various products.

Glad to see there are some other scrapbooking friends at PBS.  :)

Dove avatar
Date Posted: 8/4/2007 9:45 PM ET
How does one find your pages? I went to the gallery and even tried a search on Kathleen; but no luck. Colleen
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/9/2007 11:10 PM ET

Hi!  Another Colleen here.  It's great to see such enthusiastic posts about scrapbooking.  I want to get more into it, but keep running into "scrappers block." I've got the supplies, I'm starting to organize photos, but I feel like scrapbooking has become so advanced since I first started and I'm a bit intimidated.  Not loving the workspace either.  Any advice for newbies to overcome inertia?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/10/2007 3:19 AM ET

Colleen G....my advice is to not to worry about what others are creating, just do what you like.  Don't compare what you are doing with anyone else...that's the first and best way to get discouraged and you'll never make any headway like that.  Scrapbooking is a very personal thing.  It should be what you like, and what you enjoy, not anyone else.  Use other LOs for inspiration and ideas but don't worry if you can't copy them.  I'm far from being a master and it shows but I still love it!  I've gotten better over the years and you will too with practice...you'll find your "groove"  :)  Just have fun and preserve those memories for future generations....that's what's really most important!!  :)

Dove avatar
Date Posted: 8/10/2007 5:58 PM ET
Colleen G, there's no such thing as a "bad" scrapbook page. (grin) I think that it is important to start getting pictures on a page. You can always go back and add buttons and bows and things. So, at this point (since you feel blocked) the most important thing might be to get one page with pictures on it and a few words. Don't be critical of your own work. I think that you will find (as you finish a page or two) that you start to feel a sense of accomplishment. This willget you motivated. :) Colleen H.
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/11/2007 9:12 PM ET

My style tends to be a combination of creating keepsakes and simple scrapbooks.  I do what appeals to me.  I would look at some books to get idea - the becky higgins sketch books are great  b/c they are a great basic starting point to do the basic page and let you embellish as you like.  Another thought would be to see if a local scrapboook or craft store such as michaels or hobby lobby has any classes.  Lots of time the local community college has cheap/free classes.  I've only been scrapping for a little over a year and it is amazing how my style has changed.  I enjoy learning new things all the time and hearing the ideas of other people.  I'm not much for stamping or card making, but I go to a lot of stampin up workshops just to learn new techniques, and to make new friends. 

michelle

readerJen avatar
Date Posted: 8/12/2007 12:35 AM ET

Wow this is my first time on the craft board and I was so happy to see so many scrapbookers here on PBS. I love scrapbooking and have been doing it for gosh I guess over 9 years. I just recently discovered close to my heart stuff and just started using it.

Jen

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/12/2007 2:39 PM ET

How is everyone doing?  Is anyone else here on Scrapbook.com? DId I ask before? lol I dont remember. But I am, so look me up!

Colleen G....What everyone said above is right. There is NO wrong way or bad way to do this. That is why I love it. I am NOT a very creative person....but I can sb! :)   I started with looking at other peoples lo and then got some older mags and some new ones too.....I just love to look!!  My local library had a CM person that came in about 2x a month just to scrap. So, I started going there. It was free, she taught a little something and we got to use her stuff.  Then I got started going to crops in the area and meeting and learning and using MORE stuff!!!!   I now am pretty hooked on my Close to my heart stuff. Since I signed up to sell it a few months ago....I have been using our Cherish book. It is a whole book of page 'maps' Layouts.  WIth pics and diagrams and measurements and everything. At first, I was like, This is TOOOO much work...lol  But, Now Ive probalby done at least 6 2page lo and I really love it. My pages certainly DO look alot nicer. And, since I am not very creative or color coordinated, their papers are great for me too!! Lol

I am not a big card maker either.....They never seem right to me. Im working on that though!

Mosiac stuff is waaay cool too!!!!  The pages are really unique.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/13/2007 7:24 AM ET

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and advice about overcoming "scrappers block."  You're all right...I think once I get going, I'll probably feel better about things. I've got a few papers, photos & embellishments set aside, and this week I'm going to attend a scrapbooking meeting through meetup.com.  So, one way or another, I'm getting started this week! 

Thanks again!

Colleen G.

Page: