Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Gardening

Topic: Seeds are started!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: Seeds are started!
Date Posted: 2/24/2012 5:05 PM ET

It is the right time of the moon cycle, so the seeds went into potting mix today in a bunch of egg cartons.  I can hardly wait until they start sprouting!  Have you planted yet?

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: I started some peppers for the greenhouse
Date Posted: 2/24/2012 5:47 PM ET

to try to get a early start. Tomatoes will be next. I have a 5 x 5 shelf with 3 shelves ,grow lights & a heating cable in a planter box to start seeds. The height of each shelf when the lights are in will only hold up to a 12 inch plant. Then they are on to somewhere else in the house. My bedroom is full of geraniums now.

Wildhog3 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/24/2012 10:20 PM ET

I am going to plant 60 heirloon variety tomatoes in about a week. I use those grow-domes Parks first started selling. I will heat them from below for about a week after they come up.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: What Heirloom varieties are you growing John?
Date Posted: 2/27/2012 5:55 PM ET
louieg avatar
Date Posted: 3/12/2012 2:54 PM ET

I started my jalapenos and haberneros on the 3rd. Most of the jalapenos are up already and a couple of the haberneros are too. I wasn't expecting them to come up so fast. Hopefully they'll grow very slowly because they have to be under the same light as my tomatoes which I'm not starting for about 3 more weeks.

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/12/2012 4:59 PM ET

My seeds have sprouted, lots of little seedlings reaching for the light.  So exciting!!  Now if they will just get strong enough to go out for hardening off before transplanting.  I must have about a hundred johnny-jump-ups, can't wait to see those little smiling flowers.  The tomatoes and peppers are going good.  The only ones that haven't sprouted yet are the torenias, and those are the ones that I really want for the hanging baskets.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: mine are up too
Date Posted: 3/13/2012 4:13 PM ET

My to early flats are up. I just planted some more peppers and will plant more tomatoes soon.

Wildhog3 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/13/2012 11:25 PM ET

I have about 65 tomatoes planted, and 15 Parks Mumsy marigolds. I planted them about a week ago, and about half of the tomatoes are up. Since some of the seeds are 3 years old, I won't be concerned over them until they have been two weeks without coming up.

So here it is the middle of March, and today I bought four eggplants and put them outin the garden. Eggplants, you know, are the most sensitive thing in the garden to cold. I never before put them in before the first of May. Like the song says, You never know until you try. I also bought 8 tomatoes, four Parks Whopper and four Celebrity and will set them out in the garden tomorrow.

First thing tomorrow I need to get the spraying stuff out and put blossom drop spraying on two yellow Japanese plums that are blooming with 3/4 of the blooms fallen off. This is the only spraying that is totally essential. I will make a witches brew of Malathion (contact insecticide), 25% Sevin (stomach poison), Ziram (best all-round fungicide), and Kocide (mild copper compound to deal with several fungi).