Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: would you send? longest rc i have ever seen....

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: would you send? longest rc i have ever seen....
Date Posted: 9/2/2019 9:51 AM ET

i got an order for a book last night and the rc is one of the longest i have seen since i joined PBS in 2005. this is the member's rc.

I cannot accept an ex-library copy, any book with torn pages (including loose binding) or significantly creased covers, a book containing a nameplate/stickers/stamps or significant writing inside (name on inside cover okay), any evidence of water damage, or items from a smoking/pet owner's home or books smelling of perfume/cologne. Sorry to be so picky, but these books go to a school library. Thank you!

so my question is would you send to this member or decline? thanks for any input. 

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/2/2019 10:02 AM ET

I would not since I have pets.  If I met all the conditions I certainly wouldn't hesitate to send them a book.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/2/2019 2:00 PM ET

Same as Sarah. I'd probably get RWAPped for a cat hair or two.

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/2/2019 5:12 PM ET

I'd accept if my book wasn't a former library book. I don't have pets but the rest of it is pretty much the site guidelines with no torn pages and no water damage. I'm not hard on books so they are usually at least in very good condition when I send them out.

lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/2/2019 6:50 PM ET

Normally if a book meets all the listed item RC requirements, yes. Depends on the particular copy of the book. But in this case specifically I’d decline as we have cats.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/3/2019 11:47 AM ET

Yes, the RC is clear. If my book meets the conditions, what reason would there be to not send?

I want to get rid of books I post or offer, therefore, I always mail them out when requested. (unless they don't meet the conditions).

I have tons of books that would meet those conditions easily.

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 9/3/2019 5:06 PM ET

If your book meets her conditions then send it..

I dont get the issue with RC's personally..I send to them all the time (unless it's a pet one..I have pets)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/3/2019 7:19 PM ET

I would not bother and just decline. Too much to read , order on bn.com.

Last Edited on: 9/3/19 7:20 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 9/3/2019 8:30 PM ET

I would send as long as the requirements are met. I do not have pets and I also have the 'no smoking' RC.  There are very few RCs I turn down.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/4/2019 6:35 AM ET

Taking the time to read and consider each and every condition, I'm okay up to the last one about "books smelling of perfume/cologne."  How many times over the years have I read in these forums smells are subjective?   I may not smell anything but the receiver may say it reeks of perfume and then RWAP it.  So no, I wouldn't send to this one.

VolunteerVal avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Date Posted: 9/5/2019 4:09 PM ET

I would not send.  The first red flag is the phrase " significantly creased covers" - how does the requestor define significantly?  Is one or two crease acceptable, but three creases crosses an invisible boundary?  Are 3 minor creases acceptable but one deep crease from edge to edge is too much?

Don't even get me started on smells ...

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 9/5/2019 5:43 PM ET

I probably would decline - first because we have dogs, 2nd - my dd smokes, but not in the house nor around the books, third - the perfume RC is extremely subjective. Kids in schools have parents who smoke, have dogs, and I'm sure parents who use after shave or perfume. I can understand not wanting the books to smell overwhelmingly of any of these smells, and kids do have allergies, but if one child takes a book home and they have pets, smoking parents, etc., then then next child who has allergies might check that book out and take it home , so can't prevent all things for all children. Pat

sarap avatar
Date Posted: 9/5/2019 8:20 PM ET

Smells are subjective.

Having said that though, i am perfectly comfortable making a decision about whether or not a book has a smell. 

terri555 avatar
Date Posted: 12/17/2019 3:57 AM ET

I would NOT send. Anyone making so many demands/prereqs are often the same types to find problems where there aren't any.  

Huge red flags. I'm not Barnes and Nobles. Even if I believe my book meets their requirements, who knows what this person is thinking and what they're like. I'd pass.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/17/2019 4:14 PM ET

No. I can not be bothered reading that much!

sarap avatar
Date Posted: 12/17/2019 6:31 PM ET

I would NOT send. Anyone making so many demands/prereqs are often the same types to find problems where there aren't any. 

I actually find the opposite to be true. Poeple with RCs are very grateful when you send a book that meets their RCs and they are likely to send long thank you notes.

I have never had a single issue sending to someone with a RC, and I send to all of them when my book is appropriate.

Alameda avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: ☯️ yin / yangie
Date Posted: 12/18/2019 1:27 PM ET

.....and there you have it - 
- a lot of nays....
- a lot of yays...

it's what makes the world go 'round....