Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Cooking Cooking

Topic: would like a simple recipe for bread pudding

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: would like a simple recipe for bread pudding
Date Posted: 9/6/2014 10:44 AM ET

I'm a novice so the simpler the better.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/20/2014 3:48 PM ET

Bread pudding is really super-easy---it's just bread soaked with lots of eggs and milk/cream, then baked----then you add flavors or fruits or sauces to define it. I have several but my recipes are not online.....It's the easiest dessert ever, but it's not fast. Breaking up the bread takes the most time, then it has to cook.....

Most often I make a bananas foster bread pudding (I do not use a recipe, this one is in my head):

Break up a loaf of heavy bread into small cubes. Mix up about 3/4 cup cream with 3-4 eggs, some vanilla and banana extract,  and pour it over the bread and bake for 45 minutes or so, till brown.

The melt a stick of butter, add half-cup brown sugar, splash of cream, banana flavor, and onethird cup rum. Chop up two bananas and put that in the sauce, then pour it over the bread and let it soak in. That's basically all it is.

Check out some recipes, you'll see. And when the holidays come, there's all this "special" pepperidge farm bread, like cinnamon apple swirl, etc etc., that makes a fabulous bread base.

You can also make a pumpkin bread pudding by just adding a can of pumpkin puree. There are tons of recipes, and the base is very basic---it's just deciding how elaborate you want your sauce to be.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/23/2014 9:22 AM ET

thanks for that. I just switched from a gas stove to an electric, For some reason I am having trouble adjusting.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/24/2014 2:42 PM ET

bread pudding is very forgiving; it's a very flexible recipe (partly whay I make it so much!) . Sometimes the sauces/extra flavorings can get complicated, but that's up to you, there are lots you can pick and choose from.

As far as your stove goes, bread pudding just needs to be cooked through and browned, usually at 350 in the oven. Then you just melt stuff together for sauces.....sometimes melting things like chocolate might be diff on your new stove, but that would be the case on just about any stove.