Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: Something new at the Post Office today....

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Subject: Something new at the Post Office today....
Date Posted: 11/16/2018 10:51 AM ET

Went to the Post Office to mail off some books this morning and the Postal Clerk asked me to verify the addresses as he checked the books in. The address would come up on the screen and I had to answer yes or no as to whether that was the correct address. Asked him if this was something new or something they were just messing around with and he didn't know. Anyone else come across this? Pat

Always happy to do a 2/1 deal on books on my shelf, excludes any orders that involve Wish Listed books. Just PM me.

I HAVE CREDITS FOR SALE AT THE CURRENT GOING RATE - AMAZON GIFT CARD, PERSONAL CHECK OR POSTAL MONEY ORDER ACCEPTED.

riksny avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/17/2018 9:21 PM ET

I asked about this on a postal discussion board. I have been retired for over four years so of course this is new to me. Here is what one person said. I will see if I can get some more details later.

Ours started first of the week. Somewhat aggravating as customers can't see, hit wrong buttons, or are on errand for someone else and want to argue that they don't know if the address is correct. So I flip packages over to allow them to see the address.
There is a customer training phase, just as it is with the debit/credit. People constantly put in card to early and you have to restart payment process.
I suppose in the end, the printed address will be good.
No instruction on the process either leaves us wondering should we cover the customers address or not. And just in time for Christmas lines.
You should be happy you don't have to deal with. Organized chaos, with an emphasis on chaos, ha,ha.

riksny avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/19/2018 7:37 AM ET

A bit more info:

Sorry the confusion.  Yes, this would be on POS.  The PVI label printed now prints out tracking number, addressee address and postage all on one print out approximately 5 inches long.

On equipment that the customer views for postage choices and runs their credit/debit cards now provides the customer the address the clerk types in from their package.  It asks the customer to verify the address. Yes or no question.  Customer must participate in transaction (this is a problem as I have elderly customers . .  can't see, hit wrong buttons or challenge the process)

VolunteerVal avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Date Posted: 12/20/2018 4:08 PM ET

I experienced this at my post office when I mailed book packages a couple of weeks ago.  The counter staff said it was implemented at their location in early December.  I assume this is being done to relieve USPS from responsibility if staff enter data incorrectly ... if the customer doesn't catch it, too bad for us.

Isadora avatar
Date Posted: 12/30/2018 1:25 PM ET

Yes, this is being done at my PO too. When I mailed Christmas packages home, I had to verify each address on the screen.

Pam