Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Chick Lit Chick Lit

Topic: Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic series

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic series
Date Posted: 6/28/2011 9:54 AM ET

I love Sophie Kinsella's books, but am I the only one who is starting to find Becky's total lack of common sense annoying? I don't think I'll continue reading the series if and when she puts out another one I'm really getting sick of her causing all her own problems and then standing back and letting others bail her out.

beatccr avatar
Date Posted: 6/28/2011 10:43 AM ET

i listened to the first book on audio and while I enjoyed it, i kept getting annoyed with becky throughout the story for her reckless spending. i got about halfway through the second book, again on audio, when i had to stop. i'm around her age and it disgusts me to see how much emphasis she puts on material things that i just could not finish the rest of the book, much less the series. i've read kinsella's stand alone books, so I do enjoy her writing but not Becky.

omalleym avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/12/2011 9:12 AM ET

I have to agree. I read the latest thinking there has been enough time between when I read the last one and this new one that I might be excited again by her character but I was not. I found myself skipping through sections because I was getting so frustrated with her. I do not think I will read another if she does indeed come out with another one down the line. 

sandi00 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/12/2011 11:35 AM ET

I agree.  It started out fun, but just got annoying.  I couldn't make it thru the last Shopaholic book I got & won't be continuing to read them.  I do love Sophie Kinsella's writing (also when she writes as Madeleine Wickham), but I've had enough of Becky.  Twenties Girl was a great Sophie Kinsella book & a lot of fun.

megt avatar
Date Posted: 7/28/2011 9:17 AM ET

I have enjoyed her other books but have never read any of the Shopaholic ones, they sound bad to me.