Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Crafting

Topic: spinning and knitting

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
homegrownsoap avatar
Subject: spinning and knitting
Date Posted: 10/31/2007 12:28 PM ET

Hello Ya'll I have just started to learn spinning (wool into yarn) and i need some books to help me out, does anyone have any?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/1/2007 1:38 PM ET

No, but once you have some wool spun up, you might be interested in the book I just posted:  One Piece Knitting by Mary Rich Goodwin. It is a collection of knitting patterns for seamless sweaters knit from the top down on circular needles.

There are quite a few good books on spinning available on the market now.  You might want to put these on your wish list:

Teach Yourself Visually Handspinning by Judith MacKenzie McCuin

Spin to Knit: The Knitter's Guide to Making Yarn by Shannon Okey

The Whole Craft of Spinning by Carol Kroll

Hands On Spinning by Lee Raven

Hope you enjoy your new craft!

Last Edited on: 11/1/07 1:40 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
homegrownsoap avatar
Date Posted: 11/6/2007 8:19 AM ET

Thanks, I will look into those!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/7/2007 5:12 PM ET

Congratulations on the new hobby!  Spinning is a lot of fun and very addictive.  My wife and I both spin, on both wheel & drop spindle (i like the spindle better actually).  She knits & crochets with the yarn, I have been learning to weave. 

Unfortunately, a lot of those craft books are ones that people don't want to give up.  I have wish listed a lot of related books, but so have a lot of other people.  Hopefully those ques will move eventually.  In the meantime, you might have to buy one or two books new.  Compared to the cost of a wheel, not so bad though.

Enjoy!

Jonathan

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/7/2007 5:19 PM ET

I just looked at your profile, and see you are getting sheep, and have chickens.  I really need to get out of the city!  What breed of sheep are you going to have?

I have been going thru and tagging all sheep related books with a 'Sheep' tag.  This includes books on raising sheep, as well as all the great children's sheep books.