Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Pets/Animals

Topic: Stinky dog remedies?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
esjro avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Stinky dog remedies?
Date Posted: 11/2/2007 5:01 PM ET

After living all of his life in the 'burbs, my dog and I have moved to the woods.  We were taking a walk this morning and he rolled in a bunch of leaves covered with deer urine and feces.  He stinks to the high heavens!  Does anyone have any suggestions for odor removal from his fur?  He is quite please with himself but he stinks so bad he is giving me a headache, LOL!  Thanks!

leshshel avatar
Date Posted: 11/2/2007 11:30 PM ET

tomato juice bath. it works for when dogs get sprayed by a skunk. also there is this product called Buddy Wash that is all natural bar soap that lathers really well. it is all natural and really nice.

hope that helps my dog likes to roll in the stinky stuff to

Catspaw avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2007 1:39 PM ET

Hah - mine just did that this morning!  She usually just rolls in dead grass & leaves, but today she found some nice runny poop!

Of course, this was one of the rare days she didn't decide to swim in the creek as well, so momma had to help her along there with the aid of a 2 ft high bank, some deep water, and a tiny little nudge with my shoe!  That got her clean enough for me to put a leash on her anyway.

I washed her with Miracle II soap - pretty comparable to dish soap, and she smells ok now.

pidpot avatar
Date Posted: 11/5/2007 7:40 PM ET

esjro...I've heard good things about a commercial product called 'nature's miracle' -- i think one is a wash for fur (rather than carpets). here's the recipe i've heard works best for skunk odor...don't know about deer poop/pee! :)

How to Get Skunk Smell out of Pet Fur

1. Mix 4 c. hydrogen peroxide with 4 tbsp. baking soda and 1 tsp. dish-washing soap.

2. Put cotton balls in your pet's ears to protect the inner-ear tissue from the cleaning mixture, which could easily drip in.

3. Don rubber gloves to protect your hands during this process.

4. Start with your pet's head, taking care not to get the solution into his eyes, ears or mouth. Apply a drop of olive or baby oil to his eyes to prevent irritation.

5. Rub the mixture evenly into your pet's coat. It will probably be more pleasant to do this outdoors.

6. Rinse the coat with clean water.

7. Repeat if the smell persists.

edited to (hopefully) correct formatting. :)

Last Edited on: 11/7/07 1:37 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
pidpot avatar
Date Posted: 11/5/2007 7:41 PM ET

whoa, sorry for that last post. there were paragraph returns in there when i hit 'submit' -- swear!

(edited to relay that (1) format is now fixed, and (2) mac users might try firefox rather than safari to avoid posting unsightly blocks of text!)

Last Edited on: 11/7/07 1:39 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
esjro avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/6/2007 5:11 PM ET

LOL, no problem!  Thanks for everyone's advice.  My dog walker recommended a variation's of Karen's recipe - 5:1 water:baby shampoo, with a little baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.  I wiped him down with the mixture, then wiped him down several times with a damp towel (water only) and dried him.  It did not completely remove the odor, but it did get rid of enough to allow me to be in the same room as him again.   :-)

pidpot avatar
Date Posted: 11/7/2007 1:47 AM ET

Thanks for the update, Elizabeth -- glad that neither of you is having to sleep outside. ;)  So now the burning question now is: what will you do with the collar -- burn it or bear it? :)

esjro avatar
Date Posted: 11/7/2007 2:53 PM ET

LOL, I was planning to get him a new collar anyway.  The collar he has now is a cheap one, and now that we are in the woods I want to get a more sturdy collar in case he takes off after deer and doesn't come back!

wturnipseed avatar
Date Posted: 1/19/2008 6:47 PM ET

Diluted Tide detergent. My dogs have a tendency to find every stinky thing within 15 miles. We discovered that Tide worked one night when Maia visited Mr. Skunk.

Bettyjean avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/31/2008 6:19 PM ET

When my dog had an encounter with a skunk, the tomato juice didn't help her.  She did turn a nice shade of pink though!  Maybe her coat is too thick (she's a G shephard).  I then read on the internet about  washing her with women's vinegar douche (like summer's eve) and darned if it didn't work.