Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Is this a Textbook?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Cattriona avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Subject: Is this a Textbook?
Date Posted: 8/18/2007 6:22 PM ET

I've searched the forums for a better defininition of "textbook", but have not found one.  I just received a trade paperback  "Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics" edition of a classic title.  In addition to extensive water damage, the book has writing and/or highlighting on nearly every other page, and every blank page (inside cover, etc) appears to be filled with notes (I know writing on non-text pages is permissible).

I would not have expected this to be classed as a textbook, having worked in a college bookstore for several years.  I bought this to add to our personal "lifetime reading" collection, and am dismayed that this is not even a readable copy. 

I know the water damage is grounds alone to state this is a problematic book, but I wanted to be more clear on the textbook aspect as well, before writing to the sender.

Thank you in advance for your knowledgeable input,

Catt

Sabriel avatar
Date Posted: 8/18/2007 6:45 PM ET

I request these books for school but I wouldn't consider it a textbook and would be disappointed if I received that book.  Bummer. 

bookaddict avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/18/2007 6:47 PM ET

Even if it does qualify as a textbook, the rules say that the poster must PM you and MUST get your acceptance of the book as described before the book is sent.

I am guessing the condition was not described to you, and you did not consent...

Cattriona avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 8/18/2007 6:56 PM ET

Oh, you're right, I forgot about the "agreement" clause -- thank you for reminding me.

Cheers,

Catt

krisbooks avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/19/2007 8:55 AM ET

To me, a textbook is a book that's primary purpose is to be used in a class to teach a subject.   If it's a book that someone might choose to read even if they are not taking a class (whether the book is fiction or nonfiction), then in my mind it is not a textbook, even if it happens to be on the book list for a class.  For example, A Tale of Two Cities is not a textbook, even though it is assigned reading in some classes.

CozSnShine avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/19/2007 9:50 AM ET

It has extensive water damage??  That's a no no for ANY book, even a text book.