Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Christian Book Recommendations

Topic: Time to sign up for 2013 National Readers Choice Awards again!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
bookaholic avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2014 10:00 PM ET

I received mine today. Romantic suspense was my genre. All are the larger soft covers and wishlisted. All look like good stories and I can't wait to finish the book I am reading now to get started on them.

bookaholic avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/28/2014 8:13 AM ET

double post

Last Edited on: 3/2/14 4:50 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
flchris avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/2/2014 9:39 AM ET

Still no books for me. :(

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/2/2014 10:25 AM ET

Me neither.  sad

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/3/2014 6:57 PM ET

Got my books today.

Two Love Inspireds (one historical and one suspense) by two new to me authors and two longer historical novels.  One of the longer historicals is another new to me author.  The other one has me kinda disappointed.  It's #2 in a series and I read the first one last year (at the time the author was new to me).  I really didn't like the main character and the way she acted.  Hopefully this one will be better.

flchris avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/4/2014 7:30 PM ET

I would trade with you, Nayda. I got mine today. Four Love Inspireds...three are Westerns. This is officially my last year to do this. 

Princess65 avatar
Date Posted: 3/5/2014 11:08 PM ET

Received mine about a week ago, 3 Love Inspired and 1 full length by a New to Me Author. Have the 3 Love Inspired finished and starting the full length. Looking forward to next year...will definitely sign up if I hear about it in time.

Princess65 avatar
Date Posted: 3/9/2014 10:42 PM ET

All finished and results sent in...enjoyed most of mine!!!

SassyLady avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/14/2014 10:46 AM ET

Finished all 4 full-length novels and sent in my results. My category was novel with romantic elements. A couple of them were more mystery than romance, but that was okay as I enjoy both genres.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/26/2014 8:10 PM ET

Finished my books.  Giving it a few days to mull over before sending my results.  

I'm happy to say that the book I was disappointed in receiving (#2 in the series in which I really didn't like #1) was better than the first.  However, I've read better.  My favorite was actually the Love Inspired Suspense, although it wasn't spectacular.  I really did not like the hero in the other longer novel I received.  Plus, the hero in the Love Inspired Historical also had his annoying moments.  

I think the fact that it took me this long to read them really speaks to the fact that the books did not engage me that much.  When I really like a book, I am a fast reader.  The only one I read quickly was the Love Inspired Suspense.

clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/12/2014 9:23 PM ET

I sent in my results the other day.  I enjoyed them okay but probably wouldn't look for anything by the authors again.

kingsdaughter1611 avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2014 5:11 PM ET

I felt pretty much the same way Cynthia. I did like the one LI historical. Two were love inspired, one was a suspense and one was the second in a series I have never heard of. 

clariail avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2014 8:44 PM ET

I guess that it is okay to reveal what we read since today was the final to report.

My four books were:

Falling for the Forest Ranger (Love Inspired, No 753)  Author: Leigh Bale
Shenandoah Crossings  Author: Lisa Belcastro
Finally a Bride (Charity House, Bk 7) (Love Inspired  Author: Renee Ryan

The other one I will have to list tomorrow since I forgot to mark read and can't remember the name of it.

kingsdaughter1611 avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2014 10:43 PM ET

I have my list sitting here since I sent in stuff yesterday. Couldn't believe I let it get that late before sending in my ratings. I received the following. 

The Bride Wore Spurs by Janet Dean. LI Historical. My favorite out of them all. 

You Can't Hide by Wendy Davy. Suspense story. Never heard of this author before but it was pretty good. 2nd favorite.

Yuletide Twins by Renee Andrews. LI that I liked but not great. 

The last one I have the name for but can't find it on here. Called Beautiful Music. 

VolunteerVal avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Date Posted: 4/15/2014 11:24 PM ET

The books I was given to read were:

Beauty in Disguise by Mary Moore (LI Historical)

Amish Christmas Joy by Patricia Davids (LI) - this resonated with me because the story includes a young girl with Down Syndrome and we have a nephew who has DS

Mystery of the Heart (The Ravensmoore Chronicles, Bk 3) by Jillian Kent

The Survivor (Crime Scene: Houston, Bk 2) by DiAnn Mills  - my favorite; thought it may be difficult to jump into a series with Book 2 but the author did a great job of providing the "back story" (so well, in fact, that I see no reason to read Book 1)

Watch for the last two books to appear in an upcoming CF swap.  cheeky

kingsdaughter1611 avatar
Date Posted: 4/16/2014 4:25 PM ET

Ooo! I have read three of them and really enjoyed them. DiAnn Mills is a great author as I love suspense books. And Jillian Kent I was pleasantly surprised by. I haven't read the Amish Christmas Joy. And I think Beauty in Disguise was very good. Read a couple of her other ones and liked them. 

clariail avatar
Date Posted: 4/16/2014 9:53 PM ET

The two Love inspired books that I read were pretty good.  I don't usually read that type.  The one by Renee Ryan I'm putting in the library at church because there are a few that would probably enjoy it.  Matter of fact, I ordered a few of the others about the same family and friends to go along with it.

Shenandoah Crossings was interesting.  I enjoyed it overall but not enough to read the first one in that series.

Valerie:  I read the first one in that DiAnn Mills series.  It was okay but thought she wrote a long story that could have been shortened up a whole lot.  It dragged along to me.  I do have Survivor on Kindle but am in no hurry to read it.

kingsdaughter1611 avatar
Date Posted: 4/16/2014 11:37 PM ET

I have that whole series by Renee Ryan I think. Would have to look. I have this long shelf for my LI books. Everyone jokes about me being the library. My family members love to check out my whole TBR shelf of new books. They get to read the new releases before they are even out at the local bookstore. And the ones I don't keep I normally pass on to my library. I go through times of reading the LI historical and then the suspense. My mother prefers the historical but my sister prefers the suspense. I have found some really great ones that I enjoy but at the same time there are some I know never to pick up again. One of them really surprised me by what was in it. 

I can see what you mean about the DiAnn Mills books. I have to be in the mood to read them and much more prefer Irene Hannon, Lynette Eason and Dee Henderson. Henderson has got to be one of my top three authors of all time. Love her series:) 

clariail avatar
Date Posted: 4/17/2014 3:54 PM ET

Finally remembered to look for the other book that I had read:

Bellewood Book One: Give Us This Day :: June Foster

It was pretty good.  Some of the issues that it dealt with are tough ones but the author did it well I thought.  If anybody is interested in it, let me know. Other wise, I will probably put it in the library here at the church.  Shenandoah Crossings too.

depper1 avatar
Date Posted: 1/13/2015 10:48 PM ET

I just went to the post that the link in the first thread (from 2013) took me to and it said that they were planning on mailing the books at the end of January and you need to submit your opinion/scores in April.  If you have not signed up, you might want to do so now.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/18/2015 12:58 PM ET

I got this email today:

I'm emailing you because you signed up to judge the National Readers' Choice Awards last year. If you've already signed up for this year's awards, thank you! If you haven't, will you please consider helping us out again? We need additional judges in all categories ASAP. You can go to this direct link to fill out and submit the form: https://www.formstack.com/ forms/NRCA-reader_registration

So those of you that haven't signed up still have time.  However, the fact that they are asking for more judges now makes me think that they will once again mail late this year.

kingsdaughter1611 avatar
Date Posted: 1/18/2015 10:01 PM ET

I received the same email but had already signed up. I don't think they have ever been on time since I have participated:)

kingsdaughter1611 avatar
Date Posted: 3/2/2015 5:53 PM ET

I received my books today. I was accepted for the Novella category so I received two copies of Four Weddings and A Kiss(good thing because one is totally ruined), one copy of A Match Made in Texas and then another book that isn't Christian. Anyone else get theirs yet? 

depper1 avatar
Date Posted: 3/2/2015 6:16 PM ET

I got mine today, it was 4 little Harlequins, I don't mind contemporary romance but not thrilled about Harlequins.

kingsdaughter1611 avatar
Date Posted: 3/2/2015 11:16 PM ET

I have never received only harlequins for this program but I know somebody else did previously. Sometimes it seems like they don't pay attention to what each person gets and spreading them all out. I am happy with mine but kind of odd for them to send two copies of the same book because I am supposed to judge two stories from the same book(novella). 

Page: