Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Contemporary Fiction

Topic: Time Traveler's Wife discussion?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
stacy270 avatar
Date Posted: 1/15/2008 12:40 PM ET

I have had this book on my shelf for awhile.I tried to read it once but just couldn't get into it.After reading this thread I decided to try again.(someone here suggested reading about 50 pages) and this time I was able to get through it.I thought it was an ok read.Nothing spectacular but not bad either.I am one of those people who often finds myself reading a "well publicised" book and then wondering what all the hoopla was about.This was one of those books for me.(the exception to this is The Davinci Code which totally lived up to my expectations).  As far as time travel novels go I have yet to read any that beat out  the Outlander series. I didn't get any "odd" feelings about the relationships between grown Henry and "little" Clare/Henry.It was just part of the story I thought teh author wrote it just that way.So anyway.......that's just my TCW:)

Stacy

oleander124 avatar
Date Posted: 1/17/2008 1:38 PM ET

I thought the ending was rushed and didn't deliver like I expected. I was glad I read this book, but it just didn't do it for me. I was disturbed by Claire's response to Gomez after Henry died. I thought that was unneccessary and didn't follow the path of Claire's character.

Overall I was disappointed but still glad I read it.

aerikaj avatar
Date Posted: 2/12/2008 4:27 PM ET

I loved this book. I didn't know anything about the story when I started and initially thought the subject matter was a lot lighter. Boy, was I suprised. I was not disappointed at all and was thinking about the characters for a week after I finished.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/13/2008 11:14 AM ET

This is one of my all-time favorites.  I think I've read it at least three times and it gets better with every re-reading.  It's important when reading a book like this to let go of all reality and make believe that anything is possible, that way you can just get lost in the amazing story telling.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: loved it...
Date Posted: 2/16/2008 8:04 PM ET

I read this book a long time ago and loved it....I especially liked how realistic the whole storyline of fertility was...I liked it so much...

Did anyone see a connection between this book and the new TV show Journeyman...I feel like the makers of that show ripped a lot out of this book.

Would love to know if anyone else watches that show and sees the connections.

EveDallas avatar
Date Posted: 2/22/2008 9:14 PM ET

This book wasn't what I was expecting. I stay away from sad endings. I'm used to lighter fare, time travel, so I certainly didn't expect the ending. Henry & Claire were so gripping, I couldn't put it down. I sobbed at the end as the characters really stayed with me. (Usually why I stay away from sad endings.)

I did the math, & Claire spent more years alone at the end, than she & Henry ever had together.  That made me so sad. Most of her life was spent waiting for that last, one time with Henry, before, she, too felt she could leave. The description of her was of how old & tired she was, waiting, always waiting...

Brook P. writes: " I was disturbed by Claire's response to Gomez after Henry died. I thought that was unnecessary and didn't follow the path of Claire's character."

I was too. It kind of ruined the book for me at the end. It also pointed out, how she was alone, the rest of her life, never remarried, never created another life with someone, because she knew Henry would show up again. So she spent those years just passing time.

armywf1998 avatar
Date Posted: 2/27/2008 3:24 PM ET

I just finished this book today. I didn't see anything wrong with the little Clare/ Henry relationship. They didn't do anything until she was 18. I didn't like the two Henry's relationship. That was kind of weird and didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the story.

I was dissappointed with the Alba storyline. I didn't feel like she told enough about her and what happened to her after Henry died. She just wasn't around anymore.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/30/2008 10:10 PM ET

I loved this book.  I agree that for me, if I'm still thinking about it weeks later (and several books later) it  has made an impact.  It was so interesting to consider the possibilities with time travel and the impact each seemingly insignificant action makes...

It was definitely NOT a book I thought I would even pick up.  (Time travel???)  But I'm so glad a friend MADE me read it.   

I'm still thinking about The Road, too (*shudder*)! 

And Bridge of Sighs which was lovely.

eclecticreader10 avatar
Date Posted: 6/25/2008 2:46 PM ET

I loved this book! I've read it twice and will read it again before the movie comes out. I am so excited they have made a movie out of it, but I'm not sure it it will translate well.  There's a TTTW discussion forum on the web that the author frequently visits and makes comments.  Someone also posted a timeline that's really interesting.  This book has captured my imagination like no other.

BookwormCMB avatar
Date Posted: 7/23/2008 3:17 PM ET

I read the book with high hopes, but was disappointed and really kind of creeped out. What bugged me was the way the main character possessed his wife and claimed her for himself before she was old enough to consciously choose HIM. Just because he KNEW he'd end up with her, it was creepy/gross for him to appear to her while she was still a child.

But if anyone WANTS it, I will probably be posting it soon.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/25/2008 6:37 PM ET

I adored this book! If you can follow the plot and which Henry is where, it is wonderful!

angelatres avatar
Date Posted: 3/18/2009 6:24 PM ET

I absolutely loved this book. One of my all time favorites. I have been patiently waiting for the movie to come out--last I read was that it will be in theaters in Feb 2010, oh I can hardly wait that long!!

lambkins avatar
Date Posted: 3/20/2009 5:43 PM ET

I had high expectations for this book but just didn't like it.  It had potential for being good, but I felt the author missed the boat on this one.  There was so much more she could have done, especially with the supporting characters of the book.  I also felt there was going to be some big revelation at the end but it just kind of fell flat for me.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Question
Date Posted: 4/14/2010 2:08 PM ET

Did Clare's brother and dad shoot Henry? I loved this book. Such good story telling, ideas, art, music, lust. Everything. This is my one thorn I can't seem to come to terms with.

Thanks

daylitmoon avatar
Date Posted: 5/24/2010 10:16 AM ET

Just finished this book and it's still running through my mind. I keep thinking about the different scenes and how they connect. How one jump in time answers questions for another. I was really surprised by this book, especially with the art and music. I love the references. I enjoyed how it made me think (and still thinking) about the characters and their lives. I love watching Clare grow up and getting to know Henry, her anticipation of meeting him and then her life with him.

About Clare's bro and dad shooting Henry:

Yes, I believe that is what happened. I was a bit confused at first, as in many moments of this book. Especially when Clare woke up and saw Henry standing with her dad. I guess he went back in time while his future self was also there. That's why they were confused: they had shot something but there was only a patch of blood there upon inspection. He had returned before they found him. I thought this was heart breaking, especially since he knew it was going to happen and couldn't do anything about it. But if he could have changed anything in his future, I don't think it would have had such an impact.

My thorn is when he went into the future and saw Alba at the museum. I would have liked to have seen it through Clare's eyes. I imagine how she would have reached for Henry as he disappeared and fell to her knees in anguish. ALSO, how she waited so long for Henry to show up in her old age, for what? A day? Five minutes? She waited years and he could have been there just for a moment. She had waited all her childhood for him to visit, then early adulthood for him to meet her and then all through their marriage for him to come back after disappearing. Then she waited almost 50 years for just one more moment. That's heart breaking, time withstanding true love.

Page: