Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Tips on searching for a book

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
georgiareader avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Tips on searching for a book
Date Posted: 10/30/2007 8:22 PM ET

Hi. I'm looking for a book or type of book and need some suggestions on how to go about finding it.  Hopefully someone can help me find one.

I'd like to find a book that has some quick training sessions that I could do in meetings. Maybe this example will help clarify. My husband went through some training at his job and one of the many things they did was an excercise where one person told another a phrase like "Next week, John will be starting work at 9 AM so that Paul can start at 12 PM." That person will then tell the phrase to another and so on and so on until everyonehas been told. The last person tells the original person what was said, to see if it is the same as he originally said it.

I'd like to use the example above, but there are many more that can be done and I'm sure there is a book out there with some ideas. I just don't know how to find it. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Marie

ducky28 avatar
Date Posted: 10/30/2007 9:53 PM ET

Try this.

Go to search, then advanced search.  Type in training as a key work, then for genre, pick business and investing.

annalovesbooks avatar
Date Posted: 10/30/2007 10:48 PM ET

My husband went through some training at his job and one of the many things they did was an excercise where one person told another a phrase like "Next week, John will be starting work at 9 AM so that Paul can start at 12 PM." That person will then tell the phrase to another and so on and so on until everyonehas been told. The last person tells the original person what was said, to see if it is the same as he originally said it.

Are you kidding me?  They played TELEPHONE at work?  And they get paid for this?  AND they paid someone else to tell them to do it, probably.  Man, my kid coulda run that show when he was six!  He could be retired by now!!!!

LOL!  Jus' funnin'!

georgiareader avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2007 10:41 PM ET

Anna, I couldn't believe it either. This company he works for put all of them through this "training" and a lot of it was games.Though some of the things they did I thought would be a good idea.

I'd just like to get the Ho Hum out of the my meetings. I attend a good many meetings at my place of business and most are boring and I wanted to make mine for my team better.

Paige, Thanks for the tip!

Marie

dory avatar
Dory -
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/3/2007 11:23 PM ET

When I was working in an office they did a lot of those icebreaker type things during trainings. Some of them were pretty fun, some of them were kind of lame LOL. I googled icebreaker games for meetings and got quite a few hits.

Here's one:

The Big Book of Business Games: Icebreakers, Creativity Exercises and Meeting Energizers Author: John W. Newstrom, Edward E. Scannell

Dory

Last Edited on: 11/3/07 11:26 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
georgiareader avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2007 11:34 PM ET

Thanks!