Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: unclear rc would you send advice appreciated. thanks.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: unclear rc would you send advice appreciated. thanks.
Date Posted: 2/12/2021 6:04 PM ET

i got a request for 2 children's books. both are in great shape. one of them has a pocket on the back inside cover that looks like the ones in school library books where the person who checks is out writes there name on a card that is then slipped inside the pocket. there are no stamps and stickers that are normally on a library book.   the person who requested them has an rc where the wording has me a little confused. any advice regarding this is much appreciated. here is the rc.

Books should be from a smoke free home. If you're unsure, please just message me. I may still want it as long as it doesn't have a smoke smell to it. Please let me know if it's a library book. Thanks!

does the way it's worded mean that the member can rwap me if i send these books?

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 2/12/2021 6:48 PM ET

No, but you must let them know the one that is a school library book before you do anything and wait fro their response as to whether they still want it. Describe it to them just like you did in your post. 

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/13/2021 6:22 AM ET

This RC seems very clear and straightforward.

Books should be from a smoke free home.

Is your home smoke free? If yes, send it.

Please let me know if it's a library book. Thanks!

Is your book a library book? If yes, send a message.

If you mail without the message first and without acceptance you could be RWAP.

If you don't want to message just decline the request.

Last Edited on: 2/13/21 6:24 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 2/14/2021 12:14 PM ET

I agree with Rebecca

freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/14/2021 1:34 PM ET

but don't i have to accept the reequest before i can pm the member? if they decide they don't want the book don't i then have to cancel and repost which means my books go to the end of the fifo line?

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 2/14/2021 1:55 PM ET

Yes, you'd need to accept before the PM that is why I told you to decline if you didn't want to do that.

If the book is wishlisted then you'd cancel if the person who ordered it didn't want it. FIFO the person who orders the book cancels it.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/17/2021 2:29 PM ET

FIFO the person who orders the book cancels it.

No. If the person who ordered it cancels ... then they can't re-order the book from next in line because she is still the first FIFO book. The book offerer always cancels.

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 2/17/2021 5:02 PM ET

The help documents don't say that though Sara.

• IMPORTANT Your Requestor Conditions should NOT ask the sender to "PM me if you are unsure"  or "contact me to discuss".
    • There is no mechanism for the sender to PM the requestor from a request without accepting it
    • We recommend to senders to DECLINE such requests that ask for contact, and we will ask you to edit your Requestor Conditions.
  • If you want the sender to communicate with you about the book, you should phrase this "If you are unsure whether or not your book meets these conditions, please ACCEPT this request and then send me a Personal Message about the book." The sender is not obligated to do this.
    • If the sender does this, though, YOU will need to cancel the request if you decide that the book does not meet your conditions.
      • The sender would have to repost the book after cancelling it, so if YOU ask the sender to contact you to discuss the book, YOU must be the one to cancel the request if the sender contacts you and you don't want the book.

Last Edited on: 2/17/21 5:06 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/4/2021 7:29 PM ET

I decline all smell requests.  It's too subjective.