Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: *********What is your book of the month 2015********Lists only

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Cosmina avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/14/2015 11:22 PM ET

BUMP

Cosmina avatar
Date Posted: 3/29/2015 11:19 PM ET

bumping it up.

Leslie22 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 4/3/2015 4:13 PM ET

JANUARY - Murder on Astor Place by Victoria Thompson

FEBRUARY - The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

MARCH - Broken Harbor by Tana French

APRIL

MAY

JUNE

JULY

AUGUST

SEPTEMBER

OCTOBER

NOVEMBER 

DECEMBER

Last Edited on: 4/3/15 4:27 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Cosmina avatar
Date Posted: 4/18/2015 11:27 AM ET

just a bump

eloisem avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/3/2015 8:44 AM ET

JANUARY - The Invention Of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

FEBRUARY - Me Before You by JoJo Moyes

MARCH - The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain

APRIL -  All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

MAY - Breaking The Silence by Diane Chamberlain

JUNE - The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins

JULY - Miss Julia Lays Down The Law by Ann B Ross

AUGUST  One Plus One by JoJo Moyes

SEPTEMBER  The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman

OCTOBER - Last Bus To Wisdom by Ivan Doig

NOVEMBER = Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes

DECEMBER:  Lucky Us bt Amy Bloom - funny and sad story of family dysfunction

BOOK OF THE YEAR The LIght Between Oceans by ML Stedman

Last Edited on: 1/11/16 3:28 PM ET - Total times edited: 10
Bonnie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/10/2015 2:25 PM ET

Updated my list on page 1.  Just want to thank everybody who posts on this thread.  I've gotten a lot of good ideas from here.

pinkcypress avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 6/13/2015 12:56 PM ET

I finally updated my list for the year.  I started a new job in March, so my reading has slowed down, but I've read some good ones this year.

Some of them were books I've been wanting to get to for a long time, so I'm glad I had a chance to read them finally - like The Goldfinch.  It's interesting that people seem to either really love it or really hate it.  I really loved it.

I think the book that had the biggest impact on me was Wild.  I really loved that book.

Right now, I'm re-reading Harry Potter #6

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 7/24/2015 1:18 PM ET

Updated for July on page 1.  I read a lot this month, and so far have listened to 3 audios.  I know I have my picks already.

Cosmina avatar
Date Posted: 8/22/2015 11:47 AM ET

bumping it up!

kathyk avatar
Date Posted: 11/4/2015 9:52 AM ET

I didn't really have a best book for october, since i spent most of the month reading "Case Closed" (didn't finish it til' November 1)' a rather large non- fiction. Put a book on the list anyway.

megt avatar
Date Posted: 11/9/2015 2:44 PM ET

I updated, I was way behind.  Really haven't read much this fall.  Have listened to a few books but very slowly.  I am currently reading The Midwife's Tale: A Mystery :: Samuel Thomas, and it has really pulled me in, reminds me of the "Mistress of the Art of Death" books.

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 12/8/2015 9:55 AM ET

I just posted my November picks, and it was then that I realized that there are only 2 pages in this thread!!!  Holy crow!  We used to have so many more.  Of course, many folks intially posted, never to be heard from again.  That is sad.  At the end of the year I've copied my list and saved it, just for reference and memories. 

Pam, I do hope you start this again in January.

As for my November picks, they are two very interesting memoir/cookbook-type of books.  I highly recommend each.

onthesamepaige avatar
Date Posted: 12/9/2015 2:52 PM ET

I hope this starts again next year too. Do I need to be less lurkey, more chatty?

Bonnie, I put one of the cookbooks you recommended on my WL. Thanks! :)

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 12/9/2015 3:27 PM ET

Oh, great Paige.  Which one?

It is always good to be chatty.  Pam got complaints about people chatting here instead of listing, so she split the group into lists only and discussion.  It obviously isn't working.  2 pages when we used to have so many.  Of course, I bet a bunch of folks are gone.

I vote for just going back the to the old way...never mind lists only.

onthesamepaige avatar
Date Posted: 12/11/2015 12:41 PM ET

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter. I had heard of the book before but seeing a recommendation, a confirmation that it was good, made me want it. 

Honestly, I was for the idea of the list and discussion being separated only because the discussion would start before most of the lists were up and I would have to scroll through looking for the updates each month. If combining them again would encourage members to say more about why the books they recommend are worth reading, I am all for it. 

Cosmina avatar
Date Posted: 12/15/2015 11:30 AM ET

Many thanks to everyone who has entered their book(s) of the month.  I always love the recommendations on any of these threads but especially this one for it's Hidden Gems.  Looking forward to next years lists.

Pamela

vprosser avatar
Date Posted: 12/15/2015 6:58 PM ET

I enjoy coming here each month to see what's new.  I know a lot of people just don't finish out the year, and that has happened every year. Now with the mass exodus of so many, I think most of the forums have suffered.

I originally wanted a separate thread for lists and discussions, and like Paige said -- it's just not working.  I thought it would be easier to find the monthly book lists instead of re-reading the same chit-chat posts from months before.  Might as well go back to the old way -- hopefully the thread will be a bit more active!

Cosmina avatar
Date Posted: 12/15/2015 9:35 PM ET

How about we have the monthly list and add a sentence or two about each book right when we list it as out pick for the month????

I am always tempted to do that anyway.  

And give the book however many stars.  Some of mine were not 5 star but still I wanted to recommend them for content or thought provoking stories.

Cosmina avatar
Date Posted: 12/18/2015 3:58 PM ET

Be sure to list your book of the year for 2015.  Mine this year is  Zeitoun by Dave Eggers  5 stars.  I also listed it after my twelve book picks of the month.

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 12/24/2015 6:04 PM ET

Don't have my book of the year yet, but I will post one for each category.  Going to be hard in audio though, picking just one.

When this thread started years back I used to put my thoughts about my picks on my list page.  I agree Pam, it will be a good idea to do that and keep just this thread. 

I see you've started next year's already.  Thank  you.

Margaret, you and I picked a lot of the same books.  Valerie, you really liked some books I disliked enough to quit!

Interesting. 

mazeydazey avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/26/2015 7:34 PM ET

This is my first year to join so I have nothing to compare it to but I know I have always wanted to post a line or two about the book I posted but wanted to abide by the rules.  I like to read what others think about the books they read.  Just muy 2 cents.  I didn't know we were suppose to post a book of the year.  Will definitely have to give that some thought.

Bonnie avatar
Subject: Picks for 2015!
Date Posted: 12/30/2015 1:09 PM ET

So, here we go, my favorites of the year.  I have one fiction and one nonfiction in print,  and a couple of audios.  I always have a couple of audios.

I would have added Cold Sassy Tree to my audio picks, as it is such a fantastic audio.  So well narrated.  But I do believe I picked it in another year.

Print/Nonfiction:  10 Happier How I Tamed the Voice in My Head Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge and Found Self-Help That Actually Works by Dan Harris

Print/fiction:  Dinner with Buddha by Roland Merullo.  Third in the series and I love love love it.  These 3 books will be on my keeper shelves forever!

Both of these books deal with meditation, finding a good inner self for yourself, peace.  What makes them so very good, are that these teachings are more of sharings, and done totally without preaching.  They are keepers and books I will read over and over.

Audio:  The Signature of All Things  by Elizabeth Gilbert

Audio:  The Supreme's at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat by Edward Kelsey Moore.

I don't know why, but I cannot copy links today!

There were some pretty close runners-up in each category.  Some of the earlier Longmire books in the series really rocked it.  Others were quite annoying.  Two really stood out.  I recommend the series, both books and TV.  And I really loved my cookbook memoirs.

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL NEXT YEAR!    heart

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 12/30/2015 1:11 PM ET

I read through the posts last night when I couldn't sleep.  It appears that the most popular book was Girl on a Train, which I did finish, but it wasn't always easy.  I disliked everybody in the book!

vprosser avatar
Date Posted: 12/31/2015 10:27 PM ET

Oh Bonnie, that's kind of funny -- you hated the books I loved -- but I know we have had some common tastes in prior years!  heart

And I always add a little blurb about why I picked my choice each month -- I didn't think it was really "against the rules" because it's all on my original post and I didn't bog down the thread. I would love to see more reasons why people chose the books they did.  I like links too because then I can quickly click and read a description.  Just my .02.  Seriously, I'm glad this thread exists!  Off to go sign up for 2016...

onthesamepaige avatar
Date Posted: 1/1/2016 12:38 PM ET

Bonnie, you like the Longmire books? They aren't my usual taste, but I love the TV show, so I had been considering reading them. How do the books stack up to the show? Did you know that Netflix bought the show when it was cancelled on TV and released an all-new season this year? 

Page: