Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: What mysteries are we reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/9/2021 7:33 AM ET

I'm reading After the Crash by Michel Bussi. It's a translation and one that doesn't ring true to the original. Too many Americanisms added, phrases and words which probably were expressed differently in the original French text.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/19/2021 4:39 PM ET

I'm starting The Fog Ladies by Susan McCormick. The member who sent it to me didn't have a high opinion of it and I note there are no wishers for it. Time will tell if I read beyond the first chapter.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/19/2021 5:16 PM ET

Sounds interesting let me know how you like it.

MartieKr avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/25/2021 8:43 AM ET

I just finished The Hanging Tree by Irina Shapiro, a historical novel set in 1640 which tells the story of an innocent young woman who was hung for witchcraft and the dual story of a young writer who becomes fascinated with her story and finds the truth behind her hanging.  I fount it hard to put the book down.  

I love this author's writing and currently follow her Redmond and Haze historical series.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/14/2021 8:25 AM ET

I'm rereading Stuart Kaminsky's The Fala Factor, an oldie but goodie Toby Peters mystery with Eleanor Roosevelt putting in several appearnaces.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/14/2021 8:57 AM ET

I am ready The Hiding Place by Paula Munier. Book 3 in the series, set in Vermont. Very good but read the series in order.

bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/15/2021 10:58 AM ET

Just started The Widows by Jess Montgomery and even though I'm only on page 65, I'm really enjoying her writing and the plot appears to be building into something very intriguing. This book is primarily about coal mining in 1924 and how the population was affected - pretty tragic!

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/18/2021 12:07 PM ET

Just starting Nancy Atherton's Aunt Dimity and the Heart of Gold.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/18/2021 12:11 PM ET

I am starting Find Me by Anne Fraser

MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 4/19/2021 8:47 AM ET

I just finished The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell.

A delightfully chilling and creepy gothic mystery with a dual storyline.  One follows Anne, an herbalist who,along with her mute daughter Hetta, reside in the Bainbridge ancestral home.  Anne unwittingly sets loose a horror that lasts down the years to the current owners of the home.  

The current resident of the home is Eloise, who is pregnant and recently widowed.  She is confined to an asylum and accused of the fire at her home that killed several people.  The asylum's doctor tries to draw the story of the fire from the currently mute Eloise.  Slowly, using a slate, Eloise explains about the locked room in the house, finding Anne's diaries, and "the companions", wooden figures that look like humans. One especially looks like Eloise and its eyes seem to follow her everywhere.  Also experiencing the horror of these wooden figures is her husband's poverty stricken cousin Sarah.

I thoroughly enjoyed this creepy ghostly tale that was hard to put down.  Did I see the ending coming?  Yes and no.  It somehow seemed inevitable. 

Last Edited on: 4/19/21 12:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/21/2021 7:23 AM ET

I am reading Quiet in Her Bones by Nalini Singh. Very good set in New Zealand

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/21/2021 8:18 AM ET

Rereading Sofie Ryan's Claw Enforcement.

bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 4/21/2021 9:19 AM ET

The Widows was just as good if not better than I expected. One of the best books I've read in a long time!

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2021 5:41 PM ET

Not quite a thriller and not a cozy but certainly a bit of a mystery, I'm rereading Rhys Bowen's In Farleigh Field about spies, MI5, Bletchley Park, and other code breakers during WW2.

bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 4/23/2021 8:00 PM ET

Started reading Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, Bk 1) by Peter Swanson and so far, so good. Very interesting wondering where this is going to go plot-wise.

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/29/2021 6:33 PM ET

I finished A Time for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, Bk 50) by Jon Land and Jessica Fletcher. I didn't care for the writing in this one. Jon Land certainly didn't read any of the prior books. The sheriff Mort Metzger's first wife Adele didn't like the atmosphere of Cabot Cove and moved back to New York and Mort married Maureen several books back. Now in this book his wife is being back to Adele. So the whole book was a nightmare.

MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 5/3/2021 9:01 AM ET

I'm currently reading The Dagger Dance (A Lady Fan Mystery) by Elizabeth Bailey.  This is a well-written historical mystery set in the mid-1700s featuring Lady Otilla and Lord Fanshawe.  I've been reading this series on my Kindle and it's always a pleasure to read the next book. In this latest one, Lord and Lady Fanshawe are keeping an orphan girl whom Lady Fan has come to love but her grandfather shows up and tries to remove her.  Meanwhile, their footman discovers the woman he loved in Barbados has come to London but she tries to discourage his interest in her. He has to turn to his employers for help when she is accused of murder.  A well-rounded mystery with plenty of red herrings.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/8/2021 9:14 AM ET

I'm reading Bill Brier's The Killer Who Hated Soup. It's onluy so-so, I wouldn't recommend it although I'll probably finish it. I suspect the similarity of the title to The Burglar Who.. books was what prompted me to request this one.

bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 5/8/2021 9:36 AM ET

I'm now reading the second book in the Kinship series by Jess Montgomery: The Hollows (Kinship, Bk 2). I'm only a few chapters in but as with the first book, I find her writing exquisite. She is a terrific story teller. 

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/26/2021 8:13 AM ET

Just started An Accidental Corpse by Helen Harrison.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/29/2021 8:12 AM ET

Rereading SHeila Connolly's Many A Twist.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/1/2021 6:03 PM ET

Reading Kathy Wang's The Impostor Syndrome.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/4/2021 6:41 AM ET

I finished my book 4.5 stars out of 5 A Quiet Life in the Country by TE Kinsey. Absolutely loved it. Can't believe I haven't read this series before. Set in 1908 Gloustershire, England. Lady Hardcastle is a delightful character along with her lady's maid Florence Armstrong.  Their village was wonderful characters in it. Pacing a development of mystery is very good. I highly recommend this series.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/14/2021 1:49 PM ET

I'm reading Kate Morton's The Distant Hours, which I didn't realize was a ctually a mysteruntil about page 200. Very wordy book which could have been done better and shorter.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/16/2021 7:04 AM ET

I am reading The Burning Girls by C.J. Tudor. It is really good. pulls you right into the plot

Page: