Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: What we are reading November 18-24

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 2:00 AM ET

I didn't really have much time to read today. I read the prologue to Parallel Attractions by Diedre Knight. If you aren't familiar with it: it's about an Alien King who falls in love with a human.  He can shapeshift into a ball of energy.  They meet in Yellowstone as teenagers when he's on an expedition to check out Earth. They share their first kiss but one of his "elders" erases their memories.  But bits and pieces remain I guess.   I had a really busy day and needed some tub time.  I almost took that in but even though I bought it used it's in mint condition.  I couldn't bring myself to take into the tub with me. So I dug out a beat up historical anthology I have.  3 Weddings and a Kiss.  That's going to be my eating/bathing already unpostable read. I usually have one of them going.  It might be a keeper anyway as the 1st story is really cute.  It's from '95. The 1st story is Fancy Free by Catherine Anderson.  It's a Western.  A rancher gets caught in a compromising position with the sherrifs 18yr old daughter.  She protests the shotgun wedding but he's all for it as he has 7 considerably younger brothers and a ranch to care for.

Last Edited on: 11/20/07 2:01 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 6:15 AM ET

Brandy, is sugar and spice good? I think I have that one along with some other christmas stories I found while moving stuff around..

Mary It hink Fedora just read that weddings and a kiss book! ya'll are on the same page!

ok back to cleaing! did ya'll know if you try to melt a candle in the microwave that it will ignite?? learn something new every day...

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 5:58 PM ET

Finished Bride of Black Douglas and it was good.   Now my biggest problem is that I've actually conquered my TBR pile!  No more new books to read!  I have 5 in the mail to me that haven't arrived yet so its back to the keeper shelf for me until one comes in. I may re-read Outlander or Ransom.

Sherri

misangeles avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 6:04 PM ET

I got into a Christmassy mood so I held off on Lover Unbound and finished up Don't Open Till Christmas, a Blaze by Leslie Kelly, instead!  It starts off very hot and varies between sweet and hot for the rest of the book.  Good combination! :o)

Last Edited on: 11/20/07 6:05 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 8:32 PM ET

I think I have Sugar and Spice somewhere, too...

Sherri, that's very impressive that you've finished your TBR!  Mine is so big that I'm not sure I'd finish even if I did nothing but read for six months... (and yet I can't seem to stop acquiring more books...)

Finished Valentine's Day Is Killing Me--as is often the case with anthologies, I liked one story, found one OK, and found one mostly annoying.  Started A Comfortable Wife, by Stephanie Laurens.  I was enjoying it until a little past the halfway mark--somewhat slow in pace, but I was mostly liking the characters and how the story was unfolding.  At the moment though, I'm very irritated with the heroine and am just flipping through to see whether it gets better...

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 8:40 PM ET

Well I set out to finish it when I ran out of room! LOL  Now I'm in withdrawal - no books came in the mail today.  So after DWTS I'm going to start re-reading Ransom from my keeper shelf.

Sherri

crawford avatar
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 9:00 PM ET

I'm reading "Slightly Shady" by Amanda Quick, which is the first I've read of her. So far I'm really liking it and will probably check out more of her books :)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 9:06 PM ET

Stephanie, how was Death by Sudoku? I have that one on the way... I also have Killer Hairin my TBR pile..is that series pretty good? My favorite mystery series so far has been victori laurie's 2 : psychic eye and ghosthunters. can't wait for the  next in each of these series!

still reading 'take a chance on me' and also picked up a harlequin american romance I got in a deal: jacqueline diamon's 'cowboy and the heiress'..sounded pretty funny but not sure how it'll be..got a bunch of backups in the car though just in case!

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 10:30 PM ET

Amanda Quick is one of Nora Robert's pseudonyms.  She also writes under JD Robb.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 10:56 PM ET

I thought Amanda Quick was Jayne Ann Krentz?... And Jayne Castle.  Nora Roberts and JD Robb are one and the same. :)

Finished A Comfortable Wife, and it was OK.  Must choose something better next! ;)

Last Edited on: 11/20/07 11:09 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
louisiana-susan avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 11:05 PM ET

You're right Fedora about Amanda Quick being Jayne Ann Krentz and Jayne Castle.

crawford avatar
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 11:49 PM ET

I know about Amanda Quick being JAK, when I read the Nora Robert's thing I was like "Wha- huh?!" :)

Susanna- Death by Sudoku was good, nothing extraordinary but a nice quick read. The mystery was actually very well constructed. i am glad I got it at the library instead of buying it though, as the story itself is only 199 pages and the rest are sudoku puzzles and tips. I really enjoyed Killer Hair, I have the rest of the series but haven't read them all yet :) I only hear good things though. I LOVE the Psychic Eye mystery series, I haven't read the latest yet since I'm trying to "save" it. I'm really excited about the 2nd "Ghoul" book by her coming out too...

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/20/2007 11:59 PM ET

Still reading Parallel Attraction by Diedre Knight.  I like it but I have not had much time to read the last couple days. I've baking cookies all afternoon and evening for the single sailors. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 12:24 AM ET

Still plugging away at 'take a chance on me'! it's pretty good so far..funny and sexy..but hidden secrets..like the guy is really undercover or something and probably investigating her knowing how these things go!

Thanks Stephanie! I wondered if it had a bunch of puzzles in it..I've never done these..don't believe in too strenuous exercise for the brain LOL! I'll have to read killer hair..I think january is the next ghost hunters book isn't it? seems like psychic eye doesn't have another til summer or early fall..sigh...those are the best series I think I've found.

I can't keep all these authors straight...they should stick with just one name LOL! and Nora Roberts does have another pen name seems like ...erin st claire maybe?

ok back to reading!

Last Edited on: 11/21/07 12:24 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 12:33 AM ET

Nora Roberts was born Eleanor Marie Robertson, writes the "In Death" series as J.D. Robb and has written other works under the pseudonyms Sarah Hardesty and Jill March.

Erin St. Claire is a pen name for Sandra Brown.

I love Google ;)

And Mary, thank you for doing such a wonderful thing for the sailors!  Hooray for you!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 1:47 AM ET

brother! WAY too many names to keep track of! I could've sworn though that roberts had a adiffrent name when she first started writing but oh well doesn't say that LOL!

still reading 'take a chance on me' and its SO funny in places!

romanceaddict avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 6:36 AM ET

I'm reading Identity: Unknown by Suzanne Brockmann...Very good so far!  Next up will be Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas, it came in the mail 2 days ago and is wishlisted, so gonna get it read.

Way to go Sherri on the TBR pile! I'm really trying to pare down my TBR pile myself...I also have a bunch of books on my keeper shelf I need to re-read and make sure they're keepers, you know? When you haven't read the book in years and really can't remember it, you wonder why you kept it in the first place. I have over 200 books between my keepers and my TBR, I really only have 1 bookshelf for them, so I got to clean out!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 7:07 AM ET

'mornin' Eileen! I'm home from work(only do 10 hours on callout) and headed to bed! I'm pretty far along in 'take a chance on me' so might stay awake and finish it then sleep! It's a good book...I went ahead and ordered another book of hers from here last night! forgot the title though :-( but about an undercover guy she had a one ngiht stand with and he ends up living next door to her..

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 8:49 AM ET

Thanks Eileen. That's EXACTLY why I'm glad I'm finally able to re-read my keepers until something new comes in.  I've already posted one that was on there and another I'm skimming and trying to decide.  Sigh!  Can't keep them all as bad as I'd like to!

Sherri

louisiana-susan avatar
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 6:19 PM ET

I finished The Last Arrow and loved it!  I loved her take on the Robin Hood legend and I believe there are two other books she's written that involves some of the same characters that I can't wait to find.  I also cracked and picked up Embrace the Darkness by Alexandra Ivy, the second in her Guardians of Eternity series.  WONDERFUL!  Even better than the first IMO.  I did start Unmasked by CJ Barry so I'll be continuing that.

Susan

AshsHeroine avatar
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 6:20 PM ET

I just read Embrace the Darkness, I liked it a lot better then the first. It was so much more involved, I can't wait to read Styx's book. I love Viper.

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 7:23 PM ET

Sorry, I was confused last night when I wrote that!  Somehow I had it in my head that Amanda Quick was Nora Roberts.  I knew it was an alias for one of my favorites, I just had the wrong person!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 8:38 PM ET

shame on you Sarah! for punishment you should go sit in the corner of your couch and force yourself to eat chocolates while you read every book in sight! :-)

finished 'take a chance on me' by susan donovan and it was good! I really liked this one; very funny and sorta surprised me how she mixed really funny/silly scenes with such strong sex scenes/situations. looked back and realized I'd like one of her other books too 'he loves lucy' though I liked this one better for some reason so that's saying a lot!

still trying to decide tonight's reading...of course what i'm leaning towards I left in the car and it's not pouring down rain so gotta make do. thinking of a mystery ' killer hair' by ellen byerrum unless I can find something else interesting..thought about 'scot on the rocks' a chick lit book I got recently.

louisiana-susan avatar
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 10:53 PM ET

Ashley V -I'm with you.  I cannot wait for Styx's story!  And Viper was quite delicious.  And yes, the story seemed more involved - it was nice to see Dante and Abby again and I enjoyed seeing the friendship between Dante/Viper and Viper/Styx.

JENinVT avatar
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 11:52 PM ET

Finished In The Dark then read Time To Run both by Marliss Melton. I thought they were both good reads. I have Next To Die, #4 in the series but felt like reading something different so I reread a keeper. Now I'm reading a Blaze called Flyboy by Karen Foley. It's good so far. The picture on the cover is nothing to complain about either.

Page: