Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: What to do.... *sigh*

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
mizcat avatar
Subject: What to do.... *sigh*
Date Posted: 10/12/2007 2:21 PM ET

Ok-- I received 3 books today from a 3 for 1 deal. 2 of the 3 books are water damaged and the pages are stained. All 3 of these books were on this person's shelf, which means they should have been up to PBS standards. Technically the book I ordered was fine so my 1 credit covered that... but the 2 feebies had issues. They were obviously unpostable, but yet they were posted. How do I deal with this?

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/12/2007 2:44 PM ET

You should at least send them a personal message letting them know those books should never have been posted and explain how freebies work. I would mark them recieved with a problem and explain it in the survey. I wouldnt ask for a credit back though you did revieve one postable book for your one credit.

HTH

drewsmom avatar
Date Posted: 10/12/2007 2:46 PM ET

Gosh Carol, that's unfortunate.  You are correct, if the books were on someone's shelf, then they should have met the standard for postable or have been offered in a different sort of deal.  I would mark RWP and then explain. 

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/12/2007 2:48 PM ET

Carol I just sent you a PM on the subject.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/12/2007 3:11 PM ET

I'm one that previously let it go if I received a deal and some books in the deal were damaged. I was told, emphatically, by many on here not to do that and to mark them RWP even if the book damaged wasn't the one actually ordered from the shelf (as in order one and I'll send you two more). They ALL should be PBS standard. Many also ask for their credit back as well since the books didn't live up to the deal.

mizcat avatar
Date Posted: 10/12/2007 3:23 PM ET

Ok-- I followed some advice Joy gave. Thank you Joy!

I was bummed about it really, and still am. I am now the owner of 2 books that I can't repost... It wouldn't have bothered me if they hadn't been on the shelf and this person would have just offered them as unpostables. But it's hard to keep books rotating in the system when posted books are sent in unpostable condition. *sigh* Ok, I've got it out of my system now! :o)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/12/2007 4:42 PM ET

It's true they shouldn't have been posted on the member's shelf.  I was just reading something about the Bazaar though, I can't remember exactly what it said, but something about R&R not endorsing trades in the Bazaar part of the site.  I think it's a lot more "caveat emptor" than just a straight one-for-one trade. 

Okay, I looked it up again.  Here's what it says:

Book Bazaar

• This is the place to advertise your bookshelf and "make a deal"
    • Members often post "deals" or "bargains" in the Book Bazaar, hoping to clean out their bookshelves and earn some credits.   We do not officially support such deals (there is no
    • Members cannot offer or ask MORE than "PBS Price" for a book, but they can offer more than 1 book for a credit

(no, I didn't copy it wrong, there seems to be something missing)

Last Edited on: 10/12/07 4:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
mizcat avatar
Date Posted: 10/12/2007 4:45 PM ET

Problem is resolved and my faith in pbs'ers remains! It's always great when things are taken care of properly! :o)