Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Why not provide tracking?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/3/2019 7:51 PM ET

like linda i also have the usps informed delivery. it's a great tool. i can keep track of the books on thier way to me and the books i have sent out. no more of that i never got it from the receiver as they scan the package when they delivered and leave a message of where it was left. front porch p o box.etc. i find a lot less disputes over mailings being received or not received. for me it's less stress. lol

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Why Provide Tracking
Date Posted: 5/13/2019 8:20 PM ET

I never bother with it because if the book gone it is gone and I am unlikely to run across another copy.....

mysticaljess avatar
Date Posted: 7/20/2019 6:31 AM ET

This is bothering me, I also keep track of my books, because in the past I have had members claim they never received the book, but I never tracked. Lesson learned, I now have 6 books out there, yes I have been getting email updates in all 6, because I am paranoid they will try to steal my books. A person got his/her book yesterday, I got a notification it was delivered and I haven't heard anything. I have a bad feeling about this. I also sent this person their tracking number and if course no reply. 

How long do I wait until I pester them to mark the book as received because I know they have the book?? Why do people do this?? It's going to bother me until they mark it's been delivered. When I receive a book, I quickly look over it, and smell it and call it good. I let them know it's been delivered that day, so they can receive their credit. It's not hard. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/20/2019 3:58 PM ET

Jessica, I give it a couple of days after USPS has marked the book delivered, then I send a message that says, "Hi Jane Doe, just wanted to make sure the book arrived.  According to USPS, it was delivered on 7/20/2019.  If that's not the case, please let me know so that I can start a trace through the post office."  One of 3 things will happen: (1) They'll mark it received with no reply.  (2) They'll mark it received wtih a message.  (3) They'll say they're away from home and will mark it received when they return.  I've never had a book go "missing" using that method.   

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 7/20/2019 4:04 PM ET

Jessica,

I wait 1-2 weeks before I send an email. I too get the mark it received after that but occasionally I get , nope didn't receive  it..usually a 2nd email yields the oh I just got it yesterday and then they mark it received. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/20/2019 11:46 PM ET

I use USPS tracking stickers and they all go into an Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet creates a link to the USPS website where I can track each book until it is received.

My Excel formula is   =HYPERLINK("https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tLabels="&A5)    where A5 would be the cell containing the tracking number.

But I don't PM the tracking number to the receipient.

Page: