Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Freethinkers, Atheism, Agnosticism

Topic: Winter Solstice-Hanukkah-Christmas-Yule-what kind of observance is yours?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Winter Solstice-Hanukkah-Christmas-Yule-what kind of observance is yours?
Date Posted: 12/7/2013 5:32 PM ET

Around here we will have candles, candles, and more candles lit as twilight draws on on December 21st.   And we'll drink a bottle of GLÖGG, a Swedish winter drink that is served hot.  We may have a fire in the fireplace, and probably do some reminiscing, and some conjecturing about what we'd like to do when winter is over.   How about some of you?

Last Edited on: 12/7/13 5:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/12/2013 12:48 PM ET

It mostly depends on how I feel each year as to whether or not I actually do activities, so here is a list of some things I like to do.

Day After Thanksgiving - The day after Thanksgiving is when we buy our tree and decorate it.  We put on Christmas music (Burl Ives, Mannheim Steimroller, and Transiberian Orchestra) and decorate a pine tree.  We also set out the "memory box" for our miscarried child.

Kris Kindle/Saint Nicholas Day - December 5th/6th - Traditionally, children leave a shoe or boot out on the night of 5th for Saint Nicholas to fill with candy and toys; however, if they are bad, Krampus will leave them a switch/tree branch.  In my household we don't leave shoes out, but Kris Kindle does leave gifts beneath the tree (though I imagine if we have kids, we'll do the shoe thing).

Advent - This is the celebration of the four weeks leading up to Christmas.  In Catholicism, we have a reading each Sunday that relate to the events leading up to Christ's birth.  I do similar in my own house.  I've chosen poems or inserts from various authors that touched me that directly relate to the typical readings done during the Advent Mass on Sunday.  I have also chosen a couple of readings leading up to Three Kings Day in January, so it carries over.

Winter Solstice - We celebrate the darkest day of the year by lighting candles. We enjoy a feast of seasonal offerings and recount our blessings and hopes for the coming year.

Christmas - We remember the birth of the Christ child.  Santa leaves treats and we also exchange gifts.

New Years - We don't typically stay up until midnight.  We do enjoy a good meal, recall our favorite memories of the past year, and voice our hopes for the new year.  We do a household cleansing, as well.

Epiphany/Three Kings Day (January 6th) - This marks when the Three Kings visited the baby Jesus.  We exchange small gifts, like the Magi gave to Jesus, and also take the tree down at this point.

Last Edited on: 12/12/13 12:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
barbieofmpls avatar
Date Posted: 12/12/2013 7:19 PM ET

About five years ago I ceased participation in holidays. I do nothing. I have no regrets whatsoever.

barbieofmpls avatar
Date Posted: 12/12/2013 7:21 PM ET

About five years ago I ceased participation in holidays. I do nothing. I have no regrets whatsoever.