The information below applies to NON PANDEMIC deadlines.
The deadline to mark mailed has been relaxed because of the coronavirus pandemic. (No other deadline has been changed). See the details here.
Here is a list of deadlines associated with the PBS swapping process:
- A sender has 5 days* to respond to a request.
- After accepting a request by clicking "I can mail in the next 2 days", a sender has 5 days to mark the book mailed. The deadline is at the end of the fifth day.
- After accepting a request by clicking "I can mail later" and choosing an alternate mailing date, a sender has 2 days beyond the alternate mailing date to mark the book mailed. The deadline is at the end of the second day.
- A requestor has 48 hours to respond to an offer of a book from her Wish List.
- A book has 26 days from the "mailed" date to get to its destination within the contiguous US before it is declared "lost in the mail" at PBS.
- A book sent from or to outside the contiguous US (AK, HI, GU, VI, PR, APO/FPO/DPO, etc) has 35 days from the "mailed' date to get to its destination.
*The PBS system works on calendar --not business-- days. Members need to keep postal holidays and their own schedules in mind when accepting a request and choosing the mail-by date.
A book I sent is lost in the mail!
I sent my lost book with tracking and the email says I didn't!