Help Center - About the PBS Market
The PaperBackSwap Market is the place where members and non-members can buy NEW (brand-new from publisher, OR new overstock) books for bargain prices.
- Members can choose to use a Book Credit for each purchase, to reduce the already-low price of the book even further.
- Members can check their Wish Lists and Reminder Lists to show books currently available in the PBS Market.
How to find books in the PBS Market:
- Go directly to the Market and search for them by genre, title, author, etc.
- If any of your Wish List books are currently available in the market, there will be a green box at the top of the Market with a link to click to see those books
- Search/Browse PBS as usual for books you want, and note the "Buy from PBS Market" button on any listing for a book that is currently available in the Market.
- Set the lower sliding display on the member homepage to show "New Books for Purchase" (click the second link on the left below the sliding display). This will show current Market books.
- Sort your Wish List or Reminder List to see books currently available in the Market.
Remember, purchasing multiple books at a time will save shipping costs!
FAQs About the Market
- Are these new books? Yes, they are new books! Some of them are overstock ( which means they may have "remainder" marks - usually a pen mark on the bottom edge). Super Sellers are totally new/unmarked (not remaindered).
- Why are there two prices on them? You can use a Book Credit when you purchase, to reduce the cost of the book even more. The two prices shown are the prices if you buy without using a Book Credit, and if you do use a Book Credit.
- How is PBS getting books so inexpensively? Where do the books come from? Trees. Books come from trees. No, seriously - we have a special contractual arrangement with a business partner which is allowing us to pass along these great prices to our members.
- Are there unlimited copies? No - so if you see a book you want, you should grab it! Some books are available only in limited quantities.
- How often does the stock change? Hourly (at least during the workday).
- Will the cover image I see on the site match the book I receive? Most likely! But not necessarily. What will match: ISBN, title, author and booktype should all match the book. Cover image is not guaranteed to match. This is true for both Overstock and Super Seller books.
- How can I pay for the books? You can use a credit or debit card, your PayPal account, or PBS Money. The only payment options currently are online. Sorry, mail-in payments (checks/money orders) can't be accepted.
- How are these shipped? When will I get them? They are sent via the FedEx SmartPost service. With this service, FedEx provides a tracking number and the tracking information along the route before delivering the packages to the member's local Post Office. The USPS does the final sorting and delivery, so this service can be used to send items to PO Boxes, unlike standard FedEx shipping methods. Once the package has arrived at the Post Office, the tracking information appears at the USPS website. Prior to that, the same number can be tracked at FedEx's website. The Overstock books are shipped within 5 business days and you should get them within 10 days of the shipment. The Super Seller books can take a bit longer - maybe 14 business days from the time you order them. (During the pandemic, allot more time for the Super Sellers - up to 21 business days.)
- Is there a place on the site that I can follow the progress of my order? Yes, you can follow its progress from the "Receipts" list linked from the top of your My Account page. When the shipment is mailed, you will get an email with tracking information, and the receipt details on the Receipts page will update also.
- What is your return policy? We hope that you are completely satisfied with your Market purchase. If there is a problem with your order we will refund the purchase amount excluding shipping and handling costs. For more details, please read What is the return policy for PBS Market purchases?.