Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Paranormal

Topic: 2017 Paranormal Challenge Discussion

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/26/2017 7:05 AM ET

I have started the first in a new series by Thea Harrison very good so far.

Moonshadow

sulock avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/26/2017 7:15 AM ET

Just finished the second in the series by Thea Harrison 'Spellbinder' really loved this book.  Look forward to the next.

leesie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/26/2017 6:44 PM ET

I haven't read a Thea Harrison book yet...though I have collected some to be read...I read SO MUCH, yet am so far behind. 

I just finished A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor and am LOVING that series!!!

leesie avatar
Date Posted: 9/29/2017 3:41 PM ET

I agree with Alice, Blood Gamble is awesome, and I love Melissa Olson's books.  They are great if you like urban fantasy.

Last Edited on: 9/29/17 3:42 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/29/2017 7:21 PM ET

I started Zanaikeyros by Tessa Dawn. Good so far very similar in style to her vampire series. I was hoping for something a little different good though.

Last Edited on: 9/29/17 7:22 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 9/29/2017 8:21 PM ET

I finished 

1. Night Shift (anthology)

this week.  I liked the stories.  I was interested enough lin Lisa Shearin to put her series on my WL.

Last Edited on: 9/29/17 8:22 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/2/2017 7:02 AM ET

I am reading Wicked Edge by Rebecca Zanetti. I love her books. I am bit behind in this series but will start catching up.

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 10/6/2017 8:22 PM ET

This week I finished:

1. Silence Fallen [Mercy Thompson] by Patricia Briggs - love Patricia, love this world, loved this book less than others because it was too intrigue based and less based on the relationships of the people - nice unexpected twist at the end, tho!
  2. The Operator [Peri Reed] by Kim Harrison - I really haven't a clue where this series is going - I guess I'll have to wait and see.....
eclecticfirefly avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2017 8:49 PM ET

Just finished Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children) by Seanan McGuire.  Loved it!  Wonderfully creepy, but not really scary.

leesie avatar
Date Posted: 10/7/2017 5:12 PM ET

Oooh, can't wait to read that one Cindy.

If you like fantasy with female leads, I just finished The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst - was awesome! Loved it. Can't wait to get my hands on the next one.

eclecticfirefly avatar
Date Posted: 10/7/2017 6:36 PM ET

Just finished Keystone (Crossbreed Series Book 1) by Dannika Dark.  Didn't realize it was a spinoff of a different series.  I really enjoyed this one.  Each one of the characters is a different Breed.  2 are shifters, 1 Sensor, 1 Mage, 1 Vampire, 1 Gravewalker, and our MC, a crossbreed.  She is 1/2 Mage and 1/2 Vampire.  Something that shouldn't exist.  These vampires can move about in sunlight, aren't allergic to garlic or holy water, and don't have to consume blood, but do under some circumstances.  Book 3 just came out last month, and I put 2 and 3 on my WL.  I didn't know about the previous series, but I didn't have a problem following the story or the world.

sulock avatar
Date Posted: 10/14/2017 12:06 PM ET

Highly recommend Celia Kyle's Sci-Fi romances Alien Dragons series.  I am hooked, great characters lots of action and great sex scenes well written.  Sorry they are mostly ebooks, but I loved them.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/19/2017 7:07 AM ET

I finished Tangled by Rebecca Zanetti. It is one of her novellas very good. Love her paranormal world she has created

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 10/20/2017 8:41 PM ET

This week I read 

1. Blood Vow [Black Dagger Legacy] by JD Ward - I like that we get to start seeing the next generation in more that the Brothers' kids, and that these stories don't pretend that the BDB doesn't exist, I like the mix.
  2. Games Creatures Play - Typical anthology - some good stories; some less interesting stories.
wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 10/27/2017 8:29 PM ET

This week I read:

1. Hard to Handle [Gargoyles] by Christine Waren - this one was a bit harder to get into than the others, if only because we didn't connect up with the established storyline/charactors for quite a while.
  2. The Turning [Blood Ties] by Jennifer Armintrout - I'm not in love with this series.  I'm giving book 2 a chance to get better, but, I don't know if I'll keep reading it - anyone have opinions, since it's an older series?
  3. Broken Heart Tails by Michele Bardsley - Some cute stories in this little anthology, but, you really have to have read the series to get most of them.
  4. Master of Magic by Angela Knight - a short Kindle story based in her Mageverse - I enjoyed it, and we got a bit of a cameo from some of our old Avalon friends.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/31/2017 7:05 AM ET

I am hoping Melissa creates a 2018 challenge for us all

leesie avatar
Date Posted: 11/1/2017 10:55 AM ET

Oh! Me too Alice! I have really enjoyed having this spot to record everything, and a place to talk about books just finished and loved. But oh, good point, we are nearing the end of the year! holy cow, how did that happen!?

I just finished Faller by Will McIntosh, very much a fiction/scifi book, crazy world, loved it. No romance really, but just interesting.

Also finished Dark Rising by Greig Beck, love the thriller/sci fi/horror blend.  I have another by him, hoping it is also an Alex Hunter book.

rxrcds avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2017 11:05 AM ET

Hey all! While I haven't been terribly active (I've read maybe 20 books all year), I think I am going to renew as I've been doing a declutter thread that's been really helping me. I'll try to get categories and banners made sometime this month. Feel free to throw me any suggestions for categories, what do you like, what do you hate.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/1/2017 11:46 AM ET

Great to hear Melissa

-How about a ghost category lots of ghost books

-How about paranormal historical or mystery or both.

New releases

new authors

new series

so many .....

jemedwards avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 11/2/2017 3:38 AM ET

Yeap, looking forward to Melissa’s categories for 2018.  I appreciate your feelings about decluttering Melissa.  It seems like an ongoing theme for me with the excuse that I just don’t have the time.

As for decluttering my books, my favorite category was “Colleting Dust”.  I found many books that I’d forgotten about.  Maybe adding that as an optional category again but adding an earlier publication year such as 2015 or earlier?

So glad I found this thread a couple of years ago!

rxrcds avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 11/2/2017 8:08 AM ET

I really liked the Collecting Dust too as I finally picked up the Jaz Parks books that had been sitting here forever.

Did anyone have problems with that category that it needs to be moved to an extra instead of a main one? I'll probably tweak it to include books that are also 5 years or more older (2013 or previous).

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2017 8:18 PM ET

Melissa - i didn't have any books for the Book Covers category.

This week I read:

1. Dragon Lovers (anthology) - I loved all 4 of these stories!  That's a rarity in an anthology, but, gosh I did.
  2. Possession [Blood Ties] by Jennifer Armintrout - This series is still just kind of 'enh' for me.  I'm glad I only have 2 more books to work through in it.

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 11/10/2017 7:16 PM ET

Book 3 in this series - 

1. Ashes to Ashes [Blood Ties] by Jennifer Armintrout

Even worse.  The female lead has no clue, she's in a weird kind of love triangle, and she just keeps being cruel and thoughtless and indecisive and hurting everyone's feelings.  I'm glad book 4 is the last one in this series, maybe we'll get some resolution.

eclecticfirefly avatar
Date Posted: 11/12/2017 12:24 AM ET

Melissa, I'm so glad you are going to continue this challenge next year.  I didn't have books for the cover category or the LOL category.  Mostly because I was filling the other categories first.  

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/12/2017 6:51 AM ET

I finished When an Omega Roars by Eve Langlais this morning. It was yummy. Love her books

Page: